American Airlines has a new timeline for its ‘Project Oasis’ updates to A321s, 737s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is using the coronavirus pandemic to accelerate work on some of its passenger cabins.
Retrofits to many of its Airbus A321 and Boeing 737-800 cabins — known as “Project Oasis” — are continuing apace despite broad cost cuts during the crisis. American now plans to complete work on the 737s by March 2021 and on the A321s in Spring 2022, chief financial officer Derek Kerr said during a quarterly earnings call on Thursday.
The Oasis work harmonizes the cabin configurations across the airline’s A321 and 737 fleets. The A321s go to 190 seats from as few as 181 seats, and the 737-800s to 172 seats — the same as on the 737 MAX 8 — from 160 seats.
The updates have been widely panned by travelers. Many have found the changes that add seats to both planes uncomfortable and cramped.
In response to some early complaints, American updated changes to the first class cabin on the 737s in January. The second iteration of Oasis included improved privacy for flyers as well as additional under-seat storage space.
But American has not stopped the retrofit program. Executives view it as a key cost-saving measure to streamline the seating layouts on the airline’s fleet of hundreds of A321 and 737 jets.
The new Oasis timeline is only slightly faster than pre-pandemic plans. In January, American said it aimed to finish work on the 737s by April 2021 and on the A321s a year later.
“We now only have four aircraft types in our mainline fleet,” said Kerr on Thursday. “The operating efficiencies on the crew, maintenance and schedule are permanent.”
American has accelerated retirements of its Airbus A330s, Boeing 757s and 767s, and Embraer E190s due to COVID. The Bombardier CRJ200s at its regional affiliates were also removed.
Featured image by Zach Griff/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.