American Airlines Will Let You Pay $75 to Change a Connecting Flight to a Direct One
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you get a call from American Airlines, you might want to pick it up. Effective immediately, American Airlines is contacting select customers with the opportunity to change their connecting flight to a direct flight for a non-refundable fee of $75 per person.
Although we originally heard of this offer from Twitter user JonNYC, we’ve confirmed the information with an American Airlines spokesperson.
Here are some things you should know about the new test program:
- American Airlines revenue management is selecting the customers to whom this offer will be made. We’ve confirmed that customers can’t request this offer; it must be offered to them.
- Offers are currently only being made to main cabin passengers
- The $75 fee is not waived, even for American’s top Concierge Key elite members
- The offer is only available over the phone
- The program is a test, so it may evolve over time
- While direct flights can technically have stops, it appears passengers who pay will only be switched to nonstop flights (and rightfully so).
An American Airlines spokesperson said “it is something we used to offer to customers and are testing it again. As we test it, we hope the customers who receive the offer find it beneficial.” Certainly, some customers will find it beneficial to pay $75 to change from a connecting flight to a direct flight.
But there are also obvious revenue benefits, as well as potential operational benefits, to be gained by American Airlines from this program. Consider the situation where AA has overbooked a flight from Austin to Dallas, but has ample space on a direct flight from Austin to Miami. Previously, AA might have called some passengers traveling on the overbooked flight and continuing onto Miami to offer a complimentary switch. Now, AA will likely call these same passengers but offer the opportunity to change to the direct flight for a $75 fee.
Many passengers, happy to shorten their travel time, will certainly take AA up on the offer. But, in doing so they’re paying AA to make a schedule change that:
- Potentially helps AA solve an overbooked flight — one that they potentially could have been bumped from
- Reduces the Elite Qualifying Miles and Elite Qualifying Segments that they earn
- Removes the opportunity to visit lounges during a layover
If you get a call from American Airlines, would you pay $75 to switch from your connecting flight to a direct flight?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees