American Airlines adds Milwaukee route for 2020 election convention
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
They say politics makes for strange bedfellows. They also make for a new one-off air route at American Airlines, which will add flights to Milwaukee for the Democratic National Convention this summer.
The Oneworld alliance carrier will add eight weekly flights between Washington Reagan National (DCA) and Milwaukee (MKE) during the days before and after the event, according to Cirium schedule data. American, which does not normally fly nonstop between the cities, will offer two flights on both July 11 and 12, and again on both July 17 and 18 all with 76-seat Embraer 175 jets.
The flights will operate on the weekends before and after the Democratic convention, which is scheduled for July 13-16, when American has unused slots available at its Washington National hub.
Southwest Airlines is the only carrier regularly flying between the Washington area — both Baltimore/Washington (BWI) and Washington National airports — and Milwaukee, Cirium schedule show. The market was dominated by Milwaukee-based Midwest Airlines for years. However, that service ended in 2012, just two years after it merged with Frontier Airlines.
American has not yet loaded any additional flights for the Republican National Convention in Charlotte from Aug. 24-27. However, with its second largest hub in the Queen City, it already offers the most seats of any airline to pols headed to the event.
“We’re always evaluating our network and adding service for special events that matter the most to our customers,” said American spokeswoman Nichelle Tait when asked about the added Milwaukee route.
Other airlines have also added flights for the 2020 campaign. United Airlines added a one-time flight to Des Moines (DSM) from Washington National on Feb. 1 with a return on Feb. 4 for pols headed to the Iowa Caucus on Feb. 3, Ciriums shows.
With both conventions still months away, and a Democratic primary campaign that may stretch out for months, more one-time routes serving pols could be in the offing.
Featured image by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees