American Airlines ends Argentina route next May
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American will end service to Cordoba in Argentina in May in the face of continued demand weakness in the South American country.
The Oneworld carrier will end flights between its Miami (MIA) hub and Cordoba (COR) on May 6, according to Cirium schedule data. The airline operated the route with a Boeing 767-300ER for just over a year.
American spokesman Justin Franco said the decision to drop the route is part of a “continuous evaluation” of the airline’s network.
Argentina has faced economic challenges, including rising inflation and capital flight. As recently as July, American management called out Argentina as a market where the carrier faced demand “headwinds.”
American continues to serve Buenos Aires (EZE) with nonstops from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami, and New York John F. Kennedy (JFK).
While American is exiting Cordoba, it is growing elsewhere in South America. The airline will add flights on existing routes between Miami and Lima (LIM), Santiago (SCL) in Chile, and São Paulo (GRU) in 2020. The additional follow the news that American’s long-standing partner LATAM Airlines will end their partnership and align with Delta Air Lines.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.