American Airlines looks for employees to ‘champion’ the brand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is recruiting employees to get their colleagues more excited about the company and act as ambassadors for the brand.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Applications to the “American Champion” program became available last week in an internal email first revealed publicly on Twitter by Jamie Larounis of The Forward Cabin.
American confirmed the email to TPG on Tuesday, and said that the program is meant to make employees feel more connected to the company.
“American Champions is an internal advocacy program similar in nature to programs in place at other large corporations, and it’s a natural next step for American after we rolled out our purpose last year,” Brooke Peterson, a spokeswoman for the airline said in a statement. “The program will bring together team members around the globe from different workgroups who are passionate about making American better and living out our purpose.”
Peterson explained that last year, American put forward a new philosophy for its frontline employees that put customer service front-and-center in the company’s mission.
American has struggled with passenger satisfaction this year. Delays and cancellations during a labor dispute with mechanics emerged as chief among for the carrier this summer. Other customers have taken a dim view on cabin updates that have led to tighter seating and smaller bathrooms.
It’s against that backdrop that American is rolling out its new program, perhaps as a way to help American take a more proactive step in reshaping its image with customers.
According to the airline, around 700 employees have applied to join the program so far. According to the email, those who become American Champions will be expected to attend quarterly training to learn more about the company’s mission, post on social media about the airline and talk to their colleagues about company culture, among other responsibilities.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees