American Airlines Issues Waivers Ahead of Texas Winter Weather
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has issued a travel waiver ahead of the next winter weather system. Travelers eligible to take advantage of the waived change fees must be traveling through American’s largest hub, Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW).
The next few days are predicted to bring a variety of precip to the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. Starting this evening, January 1st, the Dallas area can expect a cold-steady rain lingering on through Wednesday evening. Winter precipitation is predicted to take aim at the Dallas-Forth Worth Metro beginning Wednesday evening. A mix of rain, snow, and sleet is expected off and on during the day Thursday into the evening hours.
While the winter precipitation poses the greatest threat to operations at DFW, even a prolonged steady rain could affect operations during peak hours. If your travels include Dallas-Forth Worth International Airport over the next few days and you’re booked on American Airlines, American Eagle, or a codeshare flight, you may be eligible to change your trip free of charge. Here are the complete details of American Airlines’ DFW travel waiver:
- Airline: American Airlines (AA)
- Cities: Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW)
- Ticket Purchased By: January 1, 2019
- Traveling: January 2 – 3, 2019
- Able To Travel: January 1 – 6, 2019
If you are eligible to change your itinerary there are a few restrictions. Travelers looking to change their itinerary cannot change the origin or destination city and will only be eligible for changes within the same cabin unless they are willing to pay the difference between their original fare and the premium cabin fare.
American Airlines is the only airline to have issued a waiver for the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Though not included in the current waiver, other cities that could be affected by the next wave of winter weather include Abilene, TX and Oklahoma City, OK.
(Featured image by Paul Moseley/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/MCT via Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees