American Airlines bolsters South America presence with GOL partnership, reciprocal benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has long been the largest U.S. carrier in South America and is committing to maintaining that position despite increasing competition.
The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier on Wednesday announced plans to invest $200 million in the Brazilian carrier GOL, for a 5.2% stake in the company. Along with that, the two carriers will expand their codeshare partnership into an exclusive agreement between the U.S. and Brazil and roll out enhanced loyalty benefits.
This news comes less than two years after American lost its long-standing partnership with the Latin American giant LATAM Airlines to Delta Air Lines. Meanwhile, Delta had to ditch its stake in GOL in favor of the new tie-up.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free biweekly Aviation newsletter!
American Airlines – GOL codeshare agreement
American Airlines and GOL have already been codeshare partners since early 2020. As a part of the tie-up, the airlines are able to offer passengers greater connectivity to far-flung destinations and more efficient pricing. However, the airlines are now taking their relationship a step further.
“This codeshare agreement between two of the leading airlines in the Americas combines our highly complementary route networks to offer customers a seamless travel experience with the largest number of flights and destinations in North and South America,” said GOL CEO Paulo Kakinoff. “We believe that this will bolster GOL’s presence in international markets, accelerate our long-term growth, and maximize value for our shareholders. It adds to our confidence in GOL’s growth as the economy reopens and travel demand increases.”
The airlines also expect to increase commercial cooperation to accelerate growth and create a more seamless travel experience. American operates flights to 17 cities in South America, including flights to Sao Paulo (GRU) and Rio de Janeiro (GIG) from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Miami (MIA) and New York-JFK. Meanwhile, GOL currently serves 63 destinations in Brazil and is the country’s largest airline.
This enhanced partnership comes alongside American’s codeshare agreement with the Chile and Argentina-based ultra low-cost carrier JetSmart. These partnerships will appeal especially to potential customers who are visiting the U.S. as American recently revealed that two-thirds of passengers on its flights to and from South America are based there.
Enhanced loyalty program benefits
What’s perhaps more exciting for customers is that American and GOL are expanding their joint loyalty offerings.
A couple of months after the partnership first launched, the airlines rolled out reciprocal mileage earning and redemption benefits. Exactly as it sounds, this means that you could seamlessly earn and redeem miles across both airlines, though there have been some limitations. For example, you could only earn credit toward AA elite status on GOL flights ticketed by American Airlines and you currently need to call to redeem American miles for GOL awards.
However, these drawbacks could become a thing of the past soon. The airlines revealed that they “expect to offer an enhanced joint loyalty offering to give customers more ways to earn and redeem miles.
Further, the airlines will roll out reciprocal loyalty perks for elite members.
Come 2022, GOL’s SMILES and American’s AAdvantage elite members will gain access to perks like priority check-in, priority security, priority boarding, a larger checked baggage allowance, lounge access and preferred seats across both airlines.
As of April 27, 2021, AA elites can now also earn their usual elite bonus miles on GOL Airlines marketed flights.
South America remains a key market for American Airlines. With today’s news, American has affirmed that it’s committed to offering more seamless bookings and loyalty benefits for passengers traveling between the U.S. and Brazil. This is increasingly important as Delta and LATAM double down on their Miami “gateway hub” and increase connections between the regions.
Featured photo courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees