This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a hectic day in Venezuela to say the least. National Assembly President Juan Guaido — the opposition leader — declared himself President of Venezuela, an act that was quickly followed by recognition from the Organization of American States, and from the US government. The swearing in and subsequent announcements led to immediate backlash from President Nicolás Maduro, who has not stepped down. In a statement addressing a crowd outside the presidential palace, Maduro ordered all US embassy personnel out of the country within 72 hours.
We reached out to American Airlines, the only US-based carrier that flies to the country, for comment. A spokesperson for AA told TPG via email the airline is “continuing to monitor the situation” but flights are still currently bookable on the site.
American operates flights between the US and Simón Bolívar International Airport (CCS) as well as La Chinita International (MAR).
According to CNN, a senior administration official stated that Maduro’s order for diplomats was “meaningless”. Guaido has also issued a statement requesting that all embassies and personnel remain in Venezuela.
TPG has reached out to the State Department to inquire about plans to evacuate embassy personnel, and will update this post with additional information.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured Photo by LUIS ROBAYO/AFP/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees