AA Still Flying to Venezuela as US Diplomats Are Given 72 Hours to Leave the Country
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a hectic day in Venezuela to say the least. National Assembly President Juan Guaido — the opposition leader — declared himself President of Venezuela, an act that was quickly followed by recognition from the Organization of American States, and from the US government. The swearing in and subsequent announcements led to immediate backlash from President Nicolás Maduro, who has not stepped down. In a statement addressing a crowd outside the presidential palace, Maduro ordered all US embassy personnel out of the country within 72 hours.
We reached out to American Airlines, the only US-based carrier that flies to the country, for comment. A spokesperson for AA told TPG via email the airline is “continuing to monitor the situation” but flights are still currently bookable on the site.
American operates flights between the US and Simón Bolívar International Airport (CCS) as well as La Chinita International (MAR).
According to CNN, a senior administration official stated that Maduro’s order for diplomats was “meaningless”. Guaido has also issued a statement requesting that all embassies and personnel remain in Venezuela.
TPG has reached out to the State Department to inquire about plans to evacuate embassy personnel, and will update this post with additional information.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured Photo by LUIS ROBAYO/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.