AA Still Flying to Venezuela as US Diplomats Are Given 72 Hours to Leave the Country
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a hectic day in Venezuela to say the least. National Assembly President Juan Guaido — the opposition leader — declared himself President of Venezuela, an act that was quickly followed by recognition from the Organization of American States, and from the US government. The swearing in and subsequent announcements led to immediate backlash from President Nicolás Maduro, who has not stepped down. In a statement addressing a crowd outside the presidential palace, Maduro ordered all US embassy personnel out of the country within 72 hours.
We reached out to American Airlines, the only US-based carrier that flies to the country, for comment. A spokesperson for AA told TPG via email the airline is “continuing to monitor the situation” but flights are still currently bookable on the site.
American operates flights between the US and Simón Bolívar International Airport (CCS) as well as La Chinita International (MAR).
According to CNN, a senior administration official stated that Maduro’s order for diplomats was “meaningless”. Guaido has also issued a statement requesting that all embassies and personnel remain in Venezuela.
TPG has reached out to the State Department to inquire about plans to evacuate embassy personnel, and will update this post with additional information.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Featured Photo by LUIS ROBAYO/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees