This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a hectic day in Venezuela to say the least. National Assembly President Juan Guaido — the opposition leader — declared himself President of Venezuela, an act that was quickly followed by recognition from the Organization of American States, and from the US government. The swearing in and subsequent announcements led to immediate backlash from President Nicolás Maduro, who has not stepped down. In a statement addressing a crowd outside the presidential palace, Maduro ordered all US embassy personnel out of the country within 72 hours.
We reached out to American Airlines, the only US-based carrier that flies to the country, for comment. A spokesperson for AA told TPG via email the airline is “continuing to monitor the situation” but flights are still currently bookable on the site.
American operates flights between the US and Simón Bolívar International Airport (CCS) as well as La Chinita International (MAR).
According to CNN, a senior administration official stated that Maduro’s order for diplomats was “meaningless”. Guaido has also issued a statement requesting that all embassies and personnel remain in Venezuela.
TPG has reached out to the State Department to inquire about plans to evacuate embassy personnel, and will update this post with additional information.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured Photo by LUIS ROBAYO/AFP/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards