American extending status for Concierge Key elite members until January 2023
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with additional information regarding the timing of American’s status extension.
First, we reported that Delta Air Lines would be extending elite status for its loyal flyers and United would be giving its biggest spenders another year of Global Services perks. Now, we’ve learned that American has also taken a step in the right direction and has extended ConciergeKey members’ status through Jan. 2023.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Although American doesn’t publicly discuss the details and benefits of its ConciergeKey program, at least one TPG reader, Seth Dobrin, and several reports on FlyerTalk indicate that the airline’s most exclusive elites have received notification that their status will be extended. The Fort Worth-based carrier apparently began extending the elite status to some of its most loyal customers back in June, per the FlyerTalk thread.
Delta generously applied this elite status extension across all elite tiers who qualified for status as far back as 2019 and United is giving Global Services members who earned status based on their own travels another year of benefits, regardless of how much they’ve flown in 2021. American, for now, has only begun extending elite status to its most-prized elites — top-tier, invite-only ConciergeKey members.
Last year, American Airlines was the last of the big 3 U.S. airlines to extend elite status in light of the coronavirus pandemic, granting another year of status to all its current elites. AA granted elite customers an extension to keep their current status until Jan. 31, 2022.
Now with the news that some AA ConciergeKey members have already reported receiving extensions until 2023, one big question still remains: whether or not American (and United) will follow in Delta’s footsteps and lay out an extension to all its loyal customers with elite status.
A formal announcement by AA may be in the works soon and it’ll be interesting to see if other airlines do the same with their coveted elite members.
Featured photo by Markus Mainka/Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees