American Airlines adds free inflight Apple TV+ streaming
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines flyers will have one more entertainment option the next time they take to the skies.
The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier has quietly expanded its partnership with Apple. Beginning Aug. 1, American now offers free inflight streaming of Apple TV+ shows, an airline spokesperson confirmed with TPG.
This new streaming option is available to every flyer with a Wi-Fi capable device on flights that feature internet access. However, you don’t need to pay for internet in order to stream — you’ll just need the AA app on your phone or tablet or visit aainflight.com on your laptop.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter!
Plus, if your flight is equipped with seat-back entertainment, you’ll find a selection of Apple Originals preloaded on the screen. Just note that fewer and fewer AA planes have TVs, so you’ll definitely want to BYOD (bring your own device.) Fortunately, most jets have power outlets and/or USB ports, and the carrier is working to install even more outlets on other planes.
The ability to stream Apple TV+ is exclusive to American Airlines. In fact, this new feature builds upon the airline’s existing relationship with Apple.
In Feb. 2019, the two companies joined forces to offer free inflight Apple Music streaming. This service is limited to AA’s ViaSat-equipped domestic flights and requires an Apple Music subscription. But it offers free Wi-Fi access to Apple Music streaming without purchasing an internet package.
Whereas Apple Music streaming requires a subscription, the new Apple TV+ partnership doesn’t. That’s great news for someone who’d like to enjoy a show or two without a commitment.
This new tie-up isn’t necessarily helpful for those who already have an Apple TV+ subscription. That’s because existing subscribers can download shows for offline viewing. So if you already have your shows downloaded, you can watch them anywhere, anytime — regardless of airline.
But if you didn’t have time to download your favorite show before boarding, then you’ll likely be relieved that American and Apple have you covered.
To view what’s playing on your flight, you can visit American’s dedicated inflight entertainment page. After inputting your flight details, you can get a sense for what to expect onboard.
For now, the titles available are:
- The Morning Show
- Defending Jacob
- For All Mankind
- Home Before Dark
- Little America
- Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet
- Oprah’s Book Club
- Snoopy in Space
American rotates the selection of movies and TV shows each month, and a spokesperson confirmed that it’ll do the same with Apple TV+ content. That’s great news since Apple keeps debuting new shows.
It’s great to see American continue to invest in inflight entertainment options, even if the carrier no longer sees value in offering seat-back screens. In addition to Apple TV+, you can stream a selection of movies and TV shows, including HBO series, on AA flights. Note, however, that this new tie-up comes just as AA temporarily suspended live TV streaming.
Either way, the next time you take to the skies, you’ll have an exciting new entertainment option.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees