American Airlines Adds Caribbean Routes From New York JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’ once expansive Caribbean gateway at New York JFK is coming back just a bit this winter with new routes to Costa Rica and Jamaica.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will add daily service to Montego Bay (MBJ) in Jamaica and San Jose (SJO) in Costa Rica from JFK on Nov. 21, and weekly service to Liberia (LIR), Costa Rica, on Dec. 21, the company announced today. All three routes will be flown with a Boeing 737-800.
The Caribbean additions join Richmond, Virginia, among new destinations that American plans to add at JFK this winter.
American has slimmed its operation at JFK over the past year, ending service to Denver (DEN); Dublin, Ireland (DUB); Orlando, Florida (MCO); and Port-au-Prince, Haiti (PAP). The reductions have come as it has focused capacity growth on its most profitable hubs in Charlotte, Dallas/Fort Worth and Washington Reagan National.
The airline is scheduled to cut capacity by 6.7% at JFK this year, following a nearly 4% reduction in 2018, according to schedule data from Diio by Cirium. It plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% this year.
American will compete with Caribbean Airlines, Delta Air Lines and JetBlue Airways on the JFK-Montego Bay route, the Diio data shows. In addition, United Airlines serves all three destinations from nearby Newark Liberty (EWR).
Separately from the new JFK routes, American will extend its seasonal service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and San Salvador (SAL), El Salvador, and New York LaGuardia (LGA) and Aruba (AUA) to year round this winter. It will also add a second daily flight between Dallas/Fort Worth and San Juan (SJU), Puerto Rico.
American has served the JFK-Montego Bay and JFK-San Jose routes previously, ending the former in 2011 and the latter in 2015, according to Diio schedule data.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees