American Airlines Adds Caribbean Routes From New York JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’ once expansive Caribbean gateway at New York JFK is coming back just a bit this winter with new routes to Costa Rica and Jamaica.
The Oneworld Alliance carrier will add daily service to Montego Bay (MBJ) in Jamaica and San Jose (SJO) in Costa Rica from JFK on Nov. 21, and weekly service to Liberia (LIR), Costa Rica, on Dec. 21, the company announced today. All three routes will be flown with a Boeing 737-800.
The Caribbean additions join Richmond, Virginia, among new destinations that American plans to add at JFK this winter.
American has slimmed its operation at JFK over the past year, ending service to Denver (DEN); Dublin, Ireland (DUB); Orlando, Florida (MCO); and Port-au-Prince, Haiti (PAP). The reductions have come as it has focused capacity growth on its most profitable hubs in Charlotte, Dallas/Fort Worth and Washington Reagan National.
The airline is scheduled to cut capacity by 6.7% at JFK this year, following a nearly 4% reduction in 2018, according to schedule data from Diio by Cirium. It plans to grow system capacity by roughly 2.5% this year.
American will compete with Caribbean Airlines, Delta Air Lines and JetBlue Airways on the JFK-Montego Bay route, the Diio data shows. In addition, United Airlines serves all three destinations from nearby Newark Liberty (EWR).
Separately from the new JFK routes, American will extend its seasonal service between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and San Salvador (SAL), El Salvador, and New York LaGuardia (LGA) and Aruba (AUA) to year round this winter. It will also add a second daily flight between Dallas/Fort Worth and San Juan (SJU), Puerto Rico.
American has served the JFK-Montego Bay and JFK-San Jose routes previously, ending the former in 2011 and the latter in 2015, according to Diio schedule data.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.