Passengers on American Flight Experience Deja-Vu After Two Diversions in One Night
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers aboard an American Airlines flight from New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) had a much longer night than expected. Mechanical issues caused two diversions for passengers aboard the flight that was supposed to arrive in Spain after a seven-hour journey.
The first flight departed JFK at 7:31pm and flew for three hours and 22 minutes, reaching the tip of Nova Scotia before it had to turn around due to a mechanical issue.
Reports on Twitter indicate the first diversion of the Boeing 767-300ER was caused by an exhaust gas fluctuation on one of the aircraft’s engines. On its return journey, it was required to perform a fuel dump so it could land safely.
The aircraft landed back at JFK at 10:24pm, off-loaded the passengers and crew who were then put onto a replacement aircraft, another 767, to get them to Spain. However, it was like deja-vu for those flying, as the replacement jet ran into a similar issue shortly after take-off.
This 767-300ER, registered N379AA took off at 12:15am, five hours after the original departure time. Following 30 minutes of flight, the wide-body turned around after passing Massachusetts because of “failing navigational display with a right system hydraulic leak on top.” It landed at 2:21am with an emergency equipment escort back to the gate.
While American wouldn’t comment on the specific mechanical issues, they did provide this statement to TPG regarding the incidents:
“First, we never want to disrupt our customers’ travel plans, and we are sorry for the trouble this caused. Our customer relations team is proactively reaching out to the customers who were impacted by the diversion of both aircraft to apologize and offer compensation for their delay, and subsequent cancelation. Customers were provided overnight hotel accommodations and rebooked for flights today, Aug. 30.”
Hopefully passengers paid for the flight with a credit card that includes trip delay insurance, like the Citi Prestige or Ritz-Carlton card, which recently reimbursed a TPG staffer $500 Uber after a flight cancellation.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees