Amazon to Open New Cashierless Grocery Store in NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon opened its first futuristic Amazon Go stores earlier this year, with three locations in Seattle and two in Chicago. Yesterday, its seventh and newest location opened in San Francisco. With plans to open as many as 3,000 of these cashierless stores by 2021, Amazon is crossing one more city off the list. Bustling New Yorkers can now start celebrating that they’ll have one less line to wait on.
Rumor of the new store began last month when Amazon posted job listings on its website soliciting store managers for an Amazon Go location in New York City.
Amazon Go stores use a combination of cameras and sensors to track customers and inventory as they walk through the store. Customers only need to open the Amazon Go app upon entry, and then the items taken from the shelves are automatically charged to the shopper’s account once they leave.
The current stores offer prepared foods like sandwiches and salads, and a few of the stores additionally feature a small selection of packaged groceries. The original store in Seattle also sells wine and beer.
Although this will be New York’s first Amazon Go store, just last month the company opened a brick-and-mortar location called Amazon 4-Star, a first-of-its-kind retail store that offers some of Amazons most popular items.
The new store will be located at Brookfield Place, a large shopping center and office complex, across from the World Trade Center in Batter Park City. Recode reported that the store will be positioned near the security desk in front of American Express’ office tower and near an Oliver Peoples eyewear store.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees