Amazon to Open New Cashierless Grocery Store in NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon opened its first futuristic Amazon Go stores earlier this year, with three locations in Seattle and two in Chicago. Yesterday, its seventh and newest location opened in San Francisco. With plans to open as many as 3,000 of these cashierless stores by 2021, Amazon is crossing one more city off the list. Bustling New Yorkers can now start celebrating that they’ll have one less line to wait on.
Rumor of the new store began last month when Amazon posted job listings on its website soliciting store managers for an Amazon Go location in New York City.
Amazon Go stores use a combination of cameras and sensors to track customers and inventory as they walk through the store. Customers only need to open the Amazon Go app upon entry, and then the items taken from the shelves are automatically charged to the shopper’s account once they leave.
The current stores offer prepared foods like sandwiches and salads, and a few of the stores additionally feature a small selection of packaged groceries. The original store in Seattle also sells wine and beer.
Although this will be New York’s first Amazon Go store, just last month the company opened a brick-and-mortar location called Amazon 4-Star, a first-of-its-kind retail store that offers some of Amazons most popular items.
The new store will be located at Brookfield Place, a large shopping center and office complex, across from the World Trade Center in Batter Park City. Recode reported that the store will be positioned near the security desk in front of American Express’ office tower and near an Oliver Peoples eyewear store.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.