How to Save Even More on Prime Day With Credit Card Price Protection
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon Prime Day is in full swing, featuring great deals on items for frequent travelers and tablets for as little as $30. TPG readers should make sure they’re maximizing their Prime Day purchases by using the right credit card.
Another way to take advantage of Prime Day is through your credit card’s price protection benefits. Amazon used to offer this perk itself, but killed it in 2016 after a slew of apps automated the process making it incredibly easy to file claims and save money. But even if you’re not purchasing anything through Prime Day, you can lock in the discounted prices if you have a card that offers price protection.
Generally, price protection works like so: You make a purchase with your card and then find that the price has dropped shortly after you completed the transaction. If the price falls within a certain time frame, usually 60-120 days after the initial purchase, your card’s issuer will refund the difference between the two prices.
If you’ve purchased an item within the period covered by your card’s price protection policy, then you can track prices today and tomorrow (Prime Day ends Tuesday at 11:59pm PT/Wednesday at 2:59am ET), see if Amazon is offering a discount on the item, screenshot the item at a lower price and then a submit a price protection claim with your bank. Final step: Enjoy your cash back!
If you don’t want to manually track and submit a price protection claim, Earny can do it for you. Earny scans your emails and will automatically submit a price protection claim on your behalf.
Citi Price Rewind may come in handy too since it automates the process, although the program was recently devalued and may not apply in the case of Prime Day since it now excludes claims “offered through a warehouse club where the merchant requires customers to pay a membership fee” (you have to be a Prime member to get access to Prime Day deals).
A number of stores like Bed Bath & Beyond, J.C. Penney and Home are offering to match Amazon’s Prime Day prices on select items, USA Today reports. This can be a great option for shoppers who aren’t Prime members.
You can read more on price protection here:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees