We Went Inside Amazon’s First Brick-and-Mortar Store in NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon opened a first-of-its kind store Thursday in New York City. Amazon 4-Star is located in SoHo, and is bringing customers Amazon’s top-rated items. All the items are a direct reflection of what customers are purchasing online; inside you can find items frequently bought together, items trending in NYC, gift guides, most-wished for items and more. Additionally, Amazon is selling its Amazon Basics offline for the first time ever.
The 4,000 square-foot store is permanent, unlike Amazon’s various pop-up shops around the country. The company currently has 18 brick-and-mortar bookstores around the US. Customers can find anything from board games, action figures and toys, kitchenware, books, Alexa products and other electronics. Amazon 4-Star attracted customers from all over the world on its opening day. Tourists from Israel to Argentina stumbled upon the store, and several New Yorkers said they were excited to experience Amazon products in real life.
Marcia Wunsch, 72, and Tony Almonte, 54, are Amazon Prime members who read that the shop was opening and explained that they both frequently purchase items off Amazon.com and are looking forward to being able to see the items first-hand before buying. Another, 24-year-old New Yorker exploring the shop with her coworkers said she loved that she can now see and touch the items, but isn’t looking forward to lugging her purchases home. “I like Amazon because it comes right to your door,” she said.
Amazon representatives would not mention how long they had been planning to open this new physical shop and did not reveal any plans for more.
Have a Look Inside
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees