We Went Inside Amazon’s First Brick-and-Mortar Store in NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon opened a first-of-its kind store Thursday in New York City. Amazon 4-Star is located in SoHo, and is bringing customers Amazon’s top-rated items. All the items are a direct reflection of what customers are purchasing online; inside you can find items frequently bought together, items trending in NYC, gift guides, most-wished for items and more. Additionally, Amazon is selling its Amazon Basics offline for the first time ever.
The 4,000 square-foot store is permanent, unlike Amazon’s various pop-up shops around the country. The company currently has 18 brick-and-mortar bookstores around the US. Customers can find anything from board games, action figures and toys, kitchenware, books, Alexa products and other electronics. Amazon 4-Star attracted customers from all over the world on its opening day. Tourists from Israel to Argentina stumbled upon the store, and several New Yorkers said they were excited to experience Amazon products in real life.
Marcia Wunsch, 72, and Tony Almonte, 54, are Amazon Prime members who read that the shop was opening and explained that they both frequently purchase items off Amazon.com and are looking forward to being able to see the items first-hand before buying. Another, 24-year-old New Yorker exploring the shop with her coworkers said she loved that she can now see and touch the items, but isn’t looking forward to lugging her purchases home. “I like Amazon because it comes right to your door,” she said.
Amazon representatives would not mention how long they had been planning to open this new physical shop and did not reveal any plans for more.
Have a Look Inside
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.