Amazon May Soon Install Cashier-Free Stores at Top US Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s third-largest retailer could be simplifying airport shopping for rushed travelers.
Amazon is investigating the possibility of introducing Amazon Go to top US airports. The retail giant’s checkout-free concept would allow rushed travelers to more quickly pick up the items they need by scanning their smartphones at a turnstile upon entry, and then having their purchase selections tracked via in-store cameras. Instead of stopping to pay for their goods individually, customers just grab-and-go, and Amazon bills their credit card on file based on what the cameras registered.
Amazon Go is already a reality at seven stores in cities across the nation, including Chicago, San Francisco as well as Seattle, where Amazon is headquartered. For the most part, current Amazon Go locations primarily serve busy professionals who need to grab a quick lunch.
Public records requests show that several airports, including Los Angeles (LAX), San Jose (SJC) and Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), have reached out to Amazon to discuss the possibility of implementing the grab-and-go technology. However, initial inquiries seem to be as far as the conversations have gone, and officials from LAX and San Jose both told Reuters that Amazon Go would still have to go through the standard competitive bidding process that all airport retailers undergo.
Meanwhile, Amazon has been tight-lipped about its plans, but entering the airport market would be a decisive branding win for the company. This year alone, 10 of the nation’s busiest airports alone processed an estimated 8.3 million travelers over the Thanksgiving holiday. If Amazon’s checkout-free shopping concept took root in each of those airports, which include all three of the cities where Amazon Go already exists, that would further solidify the major retailer’s hold on American purchasing habits.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees