How you could earn 5 bonus points per dollar on your next Amazon purchase
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Everything from toothpaste to dog food to the occasional princess dress-up costume arrives at our doorstep in a brown box thanks to Amazon.
Since we are going to spend money with Amazon either way, I get extra excited when there are ways to save money or earn bonus points on those purchases.
And even though Prime Day 2022 has come and gone, back-to-school shopping for many is just around the corner.
Here’s a quick reminder that there’s an Amex Offer out there that lets you earn 5 bonus American Express Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on Amazon purchases (on top of your standard earning rate on the card you use).
If you value your Membership Rewards points as TPG does at 2 cents per point, that is the same as getting an additional 10% award rebate on your Amazon purchases.
Sign up for the free daily TPG newsletter for more travel news and tips.
Earn 5 bonus points on Amazon orders
The Amex Offer that awards 5 bonus points per dollar on Amazon.com orders is targeted to select Membership Rewards-earning card accounts. Some TPG staffers have the offer on The Platinum Card® from American Express, while others found it on The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express.
Related: Guide to using Amex Offers
Cardholders who are targeted and add the offer to their Amex account will earn 5 bonus points per dollar spent at Amazon by Aug. 19. The offer is capped at an additional 1,500 Membership Rewards points, which would mean you’ll earn the extra 5 points per dollar on up to $300 spent at Amazon on your enrolled card by Aug. 19.
Even better? This should stack with the targeted offer floating around that could get you up to $40 off when you use 1 Membership Rewards point at checkout.
As long as the order codes as an Amazon purchase on your statement, it shouldn’t matter what you’re buying. And even though Prime Day is officially over, many of our favorite deals for travelers remain discounted at the time of writing.
Just keep in mind that the terms indicate some Amazon businesses are not included in the offer. These include Amazon Go, Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global and Amazon Drive.
While we generally recommend using these credit cards for Amazon purchases, that equation changes in the face of this promotion. If you can rack up 5 bonus points per dollar on your next Amazon order, you’re probably doing pretty well on the earnings side of the coin while stocking up on what you need from home.
And with an array of terrific deals for Prime Day, now could be a great time to make sure you’ve activated this offer on your eligible Amex card.
Additional reporting by Andrew Kunesh.
Featured photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees