Save up to $50 on Amazon purchases using just one Amex point with this targeted deal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post is regularly updated with new information.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Amazon’s popular Amex deal is back, giving targeted customers an opportunity to save up to $50 on eligible purchases by redeeming just one point.
Generally, we don’t recommend redeeming Membership Rewards points on Amazon, given that each point is equivalent to just 0.7 cents and we value Amex points at 2 cents apiece, but there are exceptions to that rule. And, since you can take advantage of this particular offer when you redeem just one Membership Rewards point, earned with cards like the American Express® Gold Card or American Express® Green Card, this deal certainly fits the bill.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Currently, targeted Amazon customers will be eligible to take 40% of select purchases, up to a $50 discount.
As noted, this is a targeted offer. You can confirm eligibility for the promotion right here.
While most products must be sold by Amazon in order to be eligible for any of the discounts — third-party listings won’t trigger any savings — you may be able to take advantage by stocking up on dining or retailer gift cards. Third-party gift cards for companies like Whole Foods, Uber Eats and Nordstrom are also eligible.
Related: Best cards for Amazon purchases
How to get 40% off by redeeming one Amex point
Here are the steps for turning just one Amex Membership Rewards point into serious Amazon savings:
- Check here to see if you have a targeted offer
- Activate the offer in your Amazon account
- Load up your cart with eligible items sold by Amazon instead of by third parties (yes, most gift cards count)
- Make sure to only use one point at checkout as shown below to avoid losing value by covering the entire purchase with points
Assuming everything worked, you should see the offer reflected in your account.
You’ll need to cover the rest of your transaction using an Amex card, though you can also apply an Amazon gift card balance, if there’s one attached to your account. This time around, the offer is set to expire at 11:59 p.m. PT on Sept. 30, or after 30,000 Amazon customers have redeemed offers — whichever comes first.
Note that some targeted customers may receive another offer, such as $20 off a $50 purchase. That particular promotion has the same expiration date of Sept. 30, but is valid for up to 50,000 customers in total.
Featured image by Leon Neal/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.