Register now to save up to $40 on Amazon purchases using just one Amex point
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post is regularly updated with new information.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Amazon’s popular Amex deal is back, allowing targeted customers to save up to $40 on eligible purchases by redeeming just one point.
Generally, we don’t recommend redeeming Membership Rewards points on Amazon, given that each point is equivalent to just 0.7 cents and we value Amex points at 2 cents apiece, but there are exceptions to that rule.
And since you can take advantage of this particular offer when you redeem just one Membership Rewards point, earned with cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the American Express® Gold Card, this deal certainly fits the bill.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Currently, Amazon customers are being targeted for a variety of offers. I can get 20% off purchases, with up to a $30 total discount, but TPG’s Ariana Arghandewal got an offer for 40% off select purchases, up to a $40 discount.
As noted, this is a targeted offer. You can confirm eligibility for the promotion right here.
While most products must be sold by Amazon to be eligible for any of the discounts — third-party listings won’t trigger any savings — you may be able to take advantage by stocking up on dining or retailer gift cards. Gift cards for companies like Whole Foods, Uber Eats and Nordstrom are also eligible.
Related: Best cards for Amazon purchases
How to get 40% off by redeeming one Amex point
Here are the steps for turning just one Amex Membership Rewards point into serious Amazon savings:
- Check here to see if you have a targeted offer
- Activate the offer in your Amazon account
- Load up your cart with eligible items sold by Amazon instead of by third parties (yes, most gift cards count)
- Make sure to only use one point at checkout, as shown below, to avoid losing value by covering the entire purchase with points
Assuming everything worked, you should see the offer reflected in your account (note that I was targeted for a 20% discount, not 40%).
You’ll need to cover the rest of your transaction using an Amex card, though you can also apply an Amazon gift card balance if there’s one attached to your account. This time around, the offer is set to expire at 11:59 p.m. PT on Oct. 31, or after 26,666 Amazon customers have redeemed offers — whichever comes first.
Featured image by Igor Golovniov/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees