Save up to $40 on Amazon purchases using just one Amex point with this targeted deal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amazon’s popular Amex deal is back, giving targeted customers an opportunity to save up to $40 on eligible purchases.
Generally, we don’t recommend redeeming Membership Rewards points on Amazon, given that each point is equivalent to just 0.7 cents and we value Amex points at 2 cents apiece, but there are exceptions to that rule. And, since you can take advantage of this particular offer when you redeem just one Membership Rewards point, earned with cards like the American Express® Gold Card or American Express® Green Card, this deal certainly fits the bill.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
According to Doctor of Credit, customers may be eligible for one of two discounts:
- $20 off a purchase of $50 or more
- $40 off a purchase of $100 or more
Note that this is a targeted offer. You can see which offer is attached to your account right here. Additionally, you may still be eligible for Amazon’s previous offer of 20% off your purchase, with up to a $50 discount. You can confirm eligibility for that promotion right here.
While products must be sold by Amazon in order to be eligible for any of the discounts — third-party listings won’t trigger any savings — you may be able to take advantage by stocking up on dining or retailer gift cards.
Here are the steps for turning just one Amex Membership Rewards point into serious Amazon savings:
- Check to see if you received a cash or percentage offer
- Activate the offer in your Amazon account
- Load up your cart with eligible items sold by Amazon instead of by third parties (yes, most gift cards count)
- Make sure to only use one point at checkout as shown below to avoid losing value by covering the entire purchase with points
Assuming everything worked, you should see the offer reflected in your account.
This time around, the offer is set to expire at 11:59 p.m. PT on Mar. 31, or after 200,000 Amazon customers have redeemed offers — whichever comes first. Meanwhile, the previous 20% discount expires at 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 29, or after 80,000 Amazon customers have redeemed offers.
While we generally recommend using these cards for Amazon purchases, after redeeming one Membership Rewards point, you’ll need to cover the rest of your transaction using an Amex card this time around, though you can also apply an Amazon gift card balance, if there’s one attached to your account.
Featured image by Leon Neal/Getty Images
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees