Allegiant Air to make Des Moines its latest new aircraft base
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Discount juggernaut Allegiant Air is on a roll in opening new aircraft bases around the U.S.. It’s latest will be Des Moines, with the Iowa capital coming online starting May 14.
The Las Vegas-based ultra-low-cost carrier will base two Airbus A320 family aircraft at Des Moines International Airport (DSM) just in time for the summer travel season, Allegiant announced Friday. The airline plans to staff the base with at least 66 pilot, flight attendant, mechanic and ground personnel jobs.
Des Moines joins Nashville (BNA) among airports where Allegiant plans to open an aircraft and crew base in 2020.
“Having locally-based aircraft and crews will open up a wide range of options for new service and more flights throughout the day,” Keith Hansen, Allegiant’s vice-president of government affairs, said in a statement. “We’re excited to bring more opportunities for affordable, convenient travel, and expand Allegiant’s presence as a hometown airline.”
Des Moines will be the 20th aircraft base for Allegiant. Its bases range from cities where it has major operations, like Las Vegas (LAS) and Orlando Sanford (SFB), to smaller points that are sizable destinations in-and-of-themselves, like Asheville (AVL).
The airline has served Des Moines since 2003. Today, it flies to six destinations from the city: Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix Mesa (AZA), and Orlando Sanford (SFB), Punta Gorda (PGD), St. Petersburg (PIE) and Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) all in Florida, according to Cirium schedule data.
Allegiant is due to add Destin-Fort Walton Beach (VPS) in Florida, and Los Angeles (LAX) — while suspending Sarasota — to its Des Moines network by May, the data shows.
Featured image courtesy of Allegiant Air.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.