Alexa, Order Room Service: Marriott Is Adding Virtual Butlers to Its Rooms
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This summer your hotel room at select Marriott properties will have a butler.
Well, an electronic butler at least.
Marriott is rolling out Amazon Echos in rooms across its brands, equipped with the new “Alexa for Hospitality” feature throughout summer 2018. The virtual assistant will be integrated with the properties’ hotel amenities, so the system will be able to help with tasks like booking an appointment at the hotel spa, requesting a toothbrush and ordering room service, without needing to place a call down to the front desk (antisocial, but seems convenient).
The system can also update you on the status of your next flight (e.g., “Alexa, ask Flight Tracker for United 262″).
In addition to accessing the hotel’s amenities, you can also control your room through Alexa — asking her to turn on the TV, adjust the room temperature (“Alexa, change the temperature to 68 degrees”) and change the lighting, among other tasks.
If your knee-jerk reaction is to be a little creeped out and worried about your privacy, it seems like Marriott has accounted for that. Each room’s Amazon Echo will be muted as a default setting. If guests are interested in using the room’s Alexa, they will have to physically un-mute the system by pressing the microphone button on top of the Echo. The device can be re-muted the same way.
And Marriott says that all voice recordings (Yes, Alexa isn’t just listening, she’s recording you, too), will be automatically deleted every day. Amazon won’t be able to link the voice recordings to individual guests, and Marriott says it will not share any guest information with Amazon.
The devices will be added to select properties within several of the hotel group’s brands, including Marriott Hotels, Westin Hotels & Resorts, St. Regis Hotels & Resorts, Aloft Hotels and Autograph Collection Hotels. Exact dates for the system launches for each brand were not available, but Marriott says the rollout is starting this summer.
Featured image by Joby Sessions/T3 Magazine via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees