Alaskan Town Will Have to Say Goodbye to the Sun for 65 Days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Polar night” is about to be upon the Alaskan town of Utqiaġvik (formerly known as Barrow), which means that the sun will set on Sunday and won’t rise for 65 days.
Alaskans will only have a short period of time to catch a glimpse of the sun on Sunday. The sun will rise at 12:40pm AKST (four hours behind EST) and set only a little more than an hour later at 1:44pm. Despite The Weather Channel’s current forecast that predicts mostly cloudy weather, it might be the last chance for affected Alaskans to throw on some sunnies and bask in the projected -10 degree weather.
The polar night phenomenon has to do with the tilt of the earth. The Arctic Circle, which encompasses Utqiaġvik, will be tilted away from the sun for the duration of the 65 days, causing the sun not to rise above the horizon.
Thankfully, the town won’t be in pitch black darkness throughout the period. Civil twilight, which is when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon, allows for enough light to see outside. However, the civil twilight period only lasts about six hours on a good day. In the dead of the polar night, you may only be able to see for as little as three hours.
No worries for the citizens of Utqiaġvik, though. Beginning in May, the exact opposite will occur as locations north of the Arctic Circle will see more than two months of nonstop sunshine, so their Vitamin D levels will hike right back up to where they should be.
H/T: The Weather Channel
Featured image by SOPA Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.