Alaskan Town Will Have to Say Goodbye to the Sun for 65 Days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Polar night” is about to be upon the Alaskan town of Utqiaġvik (formerly known as Barrow), which means that the sun will set on Sunday and won’t rise for 65 days.
Alaskans will only have a short period of time to catch a glimpse of the sun on Sunday. The sun will rise at 12:40pm AKST (four hours behind EST) and set only a little more than an hour later at 1:44pm. Despite The Weather Channel’s current forecast that predicts mostly cloudy weather, it might be the last chance for affected Alaskans to throw on some sunnies and bask in the projected -10 degree weather.
The polar night phenomenon has to do with the tilt of the earth. The Arctic Circle, which encompasses Utqiaġvik, will be tilted away from the sun for the duration of the 65 days, causing the sun not to rise above the horizon.
Thankfully, the town won’t be in pitch black darkness throughout the period. Civil twilight, which is when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon, allows for enough light to see outside. However, the civil twilight period only lasts about six hours on a good day. In the dead of the polar night, you may only be able to see for as little as three hours.
No worries for the citizens of Utqiaġvik, though. Beginning in May, the exact opposite will occur as locations north of the Arctic Circle will see more than two months of nonstop sunshine, so their Vitamin D levels will hike right back up to where they should be.
H/T: The Weather Channel
Featured image by SOPA Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees