This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Being kind to Mother Earth is a solid idea regardless of what sector you’re in, but it’s of particular importance to Alaska Airlines. As part of Alaska’s ongoing efforts to “fly greener and expand use of sustainable aviation fuels,” the carrier has inked a deal with Neste — the world’s largest producer of renewable diesel refined from waste and residues.
The new agreement will allow Neste and Alaska to “more closely work together to design, create and implement solutions that lay the groundwork for the wider adoption of renewable fuels within the airline industry.” While airlines galore rally around the idea of ditching single-use plastic straws, Alaska is embarking on a mission to turn the entire aviation industry to more renewable fuels.
Neste MY Renewable Jet Fuel technology has been tested and proven in thousands of commercial flights, and crucially, can be used without the need for additional investments in new jet engines or segregated fuel distribution system. It’s unclear whether or not Alaska will be utilizing the tech on bookable flights in the near future, but we’ll be keeping an eye out to see if Neste manages to land similar agreements with other airlines.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees