This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Being kind to Mother Earth is a solid idea regardless of what sector you’re in, but it’s of particular importance to Alaska Airlines. As part of Alaska’s ongoing efforts to “fly greener and expand use of sustainable aviation fuels,” the carrier has inked a deal with Neste — the world’s largest producer of renewable diesel refined from waste and residues.
The new agreement will allow Neste and Alaska to “more closely work together to design, create and implement solutions that lay the groundwork for the wider adoption of renewable fuels within the airline industry.” While airlines galore rally around the idea of ditching single-use plastic straws, Alaska is embarking on a mission to turn the entire aviation industry to more renewable fuels.
Neste MY Renewable Jet Fuel technology has been tested and proven in thousands of commercial flights, and crucially, can be used without the need for additional investments in new jet engines or segregated fuel distribution system. It’s unclear whether or not Alaska will be utilizing the tech on bookable flights in the near future, but we’ll be keeping an eye out to see if Neste manages to land similar agreements with other airlines.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees