Alaska Airlines continues partner cuts, slashes mileage earnings on Qantas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now, Alaska is taking a step back from AA’s Oneworld partner and new joint venture business partner Qantas. As reported by Loyalty Lobby, Alaska has issued a new partner earning chart for Qantas flights starting January 1, 2020 that slashes earnings on some flights by up to 75%:
The negative changes are solely for flights booked in economy. Earnings on flights booked into mid-fare economy tickets (booking codes G, K, L, M, S, V) are going to be cut in half; earnings on the cheapest Qantas economy fare buckets (N, O, Q) are the ones getting slashed by 75%.
Note that these changes are only for Qantas-marketed flights — meaning flights that are booked with a Qantas flight number. If you book a Qantas-operated flight with an Alaska Airlines codeshare number (Alaska flight numbers 5000 through 5499), you’ll still earn 100% base miles:
As with most of these mileage changes, travelers who booked flights prior to this announcement aren’t “grandfathered” into the prior earning structure. That means this is bad news for any travelers who booked Qantas flights to help them toward earning Alaska MVP status in 2020.
If you already have a flight booked in 2020, you now have a newly-improved mileage earning option. This Alaska-Qantas mileage earnings slash comes just a month after American Airlines and Qantas improved mileage earnings on each other’s flights.
After this change, deep-discount economy fare codes (N, O, Q) will earn 25% award miles through both Alaska and American Airlines. Alaska miles (1.8 cents per mile) are valued higher than American Airlines miles (1.4 cents per mile), so it still could make sense to credit Qantas flights to your Alaska Mileage Plan instead of AAdvantage for those solely looking for the biggest return from their flight.
However, once these changes kick in on January 1, 2020, status seekers may want to credit to American Airlines as Qantas flights now earn 100% of flight miles as AAdvantage Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM).
For example, let’s consider a round-trip Qantas flight between Los Angeles (LAX) and Sydney (SYD) booked into deep discount fares (N, O, Q). For flights starting January 1, 2020, this booking will earn:
|LAX-SYD round-trip on Qantas||AA||Alaska|
|Elite Qualifying Miles||14,976||3,744|
|Elite Qualifying Dollars||749||n/a|
|Value of award miles||$52||$67|
This Alaska change comes just under 60 days from the effective date, which is generally regarded as the minimum courtesy notice that mileage programs give for major changes.
Featured image by JT Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees