Alaska Puts Limit on Buying Miles, Here’s How to Get Around It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines has some of the most sought after miles in the game. Although Alaska isn’t a member of one of the big three alliances, it does have a wide range of codeshare partners. As a result, you can use Alaska Mileage Plan miles for reward travel with carriers like Cathay Pacific, Emirates and Japan Airlines, just to name a few. That’s a big reason why Alaska miles are currently the highest valued airline miles based on current TPG valuations.
Alaska is also known for doing Mileage Plan sales from time to time. It’s a great way to add additional miles to your account at a nice discount. The current sale is offering a 40% bonus when you buy at least 20,000 miles.
But, if you often take advantage of these sales to top off or stock up on miles in your account, the airline has announced an important change to the program: Alaska is now limiting the number of miles you can buy or be gifted. The new rule sets a cap of 150,000 miles per calendar year.
There is some good news for elite Milage Plan members though. If you have elite status — MVP, MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K — you can continue to buy as many miles as you want with no limit. The new limit only applies to those without elite status in the Milage Plan program.
If you want to learn how to rack up Milage Plan miles without having to buy them, check out our guide on earning miles with the Mileage Plan Program.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured Photo by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees