Alaska Airlines Grounds Flights Due to Power Outage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines’ operations are back up and running after a brief power outage in the Seattle area caused the airline to ground all flights. The airline, which is based in Seattle, grounded operations between 4:20am and 5:15am. Multiple flights were delayed and a few flights were canceled as a result of the system-wide outage.
The Seattle area experienced unusually strong winds early this morning. The wind gusts, which are reported to have exceeded 60 mph, prompted the local National Weather Service office in Seattle to issue a High Wind Warning. Wind gusts picked up sometime around 1am and continued through the early morning hours. Residents throughout the Sea-Tac area lost power as a result of the high winds.
Alaska Airlines’ headquarters and main operations center was also affected, experiencing a complete outage beginning around 3:30am. Roughly 30 minutes later, the airline made the decision to ground all flights until the outage could be resolved.
Alaska Airlines operates a rather slim schedule during the early morning hours, with a handful of flights operating along the West Coast, throughout Alaska and transcon. Still, Business Insider is reporting that 27 flights were delayed and five were canceled as a result of the outage. A spokesperson for Alaska Airlines also confirmed to Business Insider that the Seattle Aaea power outage was the cause for the outage.
Operations are back up and running as of 8am local time. Passengers who were affected by the outage were compensated and accommodated on alternate flights.
H/T: Business Insider
Featured image by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees