Marriott Confirms Al Maha Award Stays Will Include Meals and Activities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Category 8 pricing began on March 5, 2019. This means the 60,000-point pricing detailed below is no longer available. For details on Marriott redemption options, please visit How to Redeem Points With the Marriott Bonvoy Program.
One of the most exciting aspects of the Marriott/SPG integration was the fact that all legacy SPG properties fit into the standard award chart. To make this even more lucrative, luxurious resorts like the St. Regis Maldives and St. Regis Bora Bora are currently bookable for just 60,000 points per night through March 2019, when the program will introduce Category 8 pricing. Unfortunately, one of the top properties in this tier (Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa) recently indicated that award stays would no longer include meals and activities, a big hit to one of the best redemption options in the new program.
Well, it appears that Marriott is now either reversing course or holding the property’s feet to the proverbial award fire. Per View from the Wing, the program has confirmed that Al Maha “is reverting back to the old inclusive award pricing” and will once again include meals and activities for all guests, regardless of their method of payment.
It’s worth noting that this development is still not reflected in the online search results:
However, this is a very positive development for those looking to get fantastic value from their Marriott points. Spending 60,000 Marriott Rewards points for a luxurious suite plus food and activities is an absolute steal. Even when Category 8 pricing kicks in and the property jumps to 85,000 points per night (or even 100,000 points on peak dates), I’d argue that this property will still be a great redemption with food and activities included.
More broadly, I sincerely hope that this represents the type of approach that Marriott will take in 2019 to reassert itself as a program that takes care of its members. It’s no secret that the integration wasn’t as smooth as many had hoped, and I’ve heard (personally) from dozens of SPG elite members who felt that the new program and the issues that have come up since the August 18 integration left them questioning their loyalty. If Marriott continues to takes steps like this, it may go a long way toward regaining some loyalty that’s been lost.
We have reached out to Marriott and will report back once this update is live on Marriott’s site.
H/T: View from the Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees