Airplane Makes Emergency Landing After Crack in Windshield
A Flybe plane departing from Newquay Airport in Cornwall, England made an emergency landing Tuesday morning after the plane’s windshield cracked shortly after taking off. The Embraer 195 was headed for Gatwick Airport (LGW) in London with 92 passengers on board before it turned around and safely landed back at Newquay Airport (NQY).
A spokesperson from the airline confirmed to Newsweek that the pilot and crew took all the necessary action and that the crack on the windshield was on the outer layer of the plane.
2018-04-24: FlyBe Embraer E_195 (G-FBEL) experienced a cracked layer of the windshield whilst climbing out of Newquay, UK on flight #BE801 to Gatwick. The aircraft safely returned to land. https://t.co/O4buQ6xa0H | https://t.co/FXuLmQj8sC pic.twitter.com/SR9uoycxye
— JACDEC (@JacdecNew) April 26, 2018
“Flybe can confirm that the aircraft operating the above flight landed safely at Newquay without incident having returned from airborne following a crack appearing in the outer layer of its windscreen,” a statement from Flybe said. “The captain took the necessary action and, as a usual precautionary measure, the airport put its emergency vehicles on standby.”
Passengers on board the flight said they noticed the plane started to slow down shortly after taking off. The Captain decided to turn around when the plane reached an elevation of 12,000 feet.
“The plane slowed down a bit, then they made an announcement that there was a crack in the windscreen and they had to return to Newquay,” Ellis told the publication. “No fuss was made, no drama, all very professional,” Ray Ellis, a passenger on the plane, told Newsweek.
Ground transportation was provided for the passengers to complete their trip to London Gatwick. A different Flybe plane will replace the Embraer 195 while it’s windshield is repaired, sources say.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.