Airplane Makes Emergency Landing After Crack in Windshield
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Flybe plane departing from Newquay Airport in Cornwall, England made an emergency landing Tuesday morning after the plane’s windshield cracked shortly after taking off. The Embraer 195 was headed for Gatwick Airport (LGW) in London with 92 passengers on board before it turned around and safely landed back at Newquay Airport (NQY).
A spokesperson from the airline confirmed to Newsweek that the pilot and crew took all the necessary action and that the crack on the windshield was on the outer layer of the plane.
2018-04-24: FlyBe Embraer E_195 (G-FBEL) experienced a cracked layer of the windshield whilst climbing out of Newquay, UK on flight #BE801 to Gatwick. The aircraft safely returned to land. https://t.co/O4buQ6xa0H | https://t.co/FXuLmQj8sC pic.twitter.com/SR9uoycxye
— JACDEC (@JacdecNew) April 26, 2018
“Flybe can confirm that the aircraft operating the above flight landed safely at Newquay without incident having returned from airborne following a crack appearing in the outer layer of its windscreen,” a statement from Flybe said. “The captain took the necessary action and, as a usual precautionary measure, the airport put its emergency vehicles on standby.”
Passengers on board the flight said they noticed the plane started to slow down shortly after taking off. The Captain decided to turn around when the plane reached an elevation of 12,000 feet.
“The plane slowed down a bit, then they made an announcement that there was a crack in the windscreen and they had to return to Newquay,” Ellis told the publication. “No fuss was made, no drama, all very professional,” Ray Ellis, a passenger on the plane, told Newsweek.
Ground transportation was provided for the passengers to complete their trip to London Gatwick. A different Flybe plane will replace the Embraer 195 while it’s windshield is repaired, sources say.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees