This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Flybe plane departing from Newquay Airport in Cornwall, England made an emergency landing Tuesday morning after the plane’s windshield cracked shortly after taking off. The Embraer 195 was headed for Gatwick Airport (LGW) in London with 92 passengers on board before it turned around and safely landed back at Newquay Airport (NQY).
A spokesperson from the airline confirmed to Newsweek that the pilot and crew took all the necessary action and that the crack on the windshield was on the outer layer of the plane.
2018-04-24: FlyBe Embraer E_195 (G-FBEL) experienced a cracked layer of the windshield whilst climbing out of Newquay, UK on flight #BE801 to Gatwick. The aircraft safely returned to land. https://t.co/O4buQ6xa0H | https://t.co/FXuLmQj8sC pic.twitter.com/SR9uoycxye
— JACDEC (@JacdecNew) April 26, 2018
“Flybe can confirm that the aircraft operating the above flight landed safely at Newquay without incident having returned from airborne following a crack appearing in the outer layer of its windscreen,” a statement from Flybe said. “The captain took the necessary action and, as a usual precautionary measure, the airport put its emergency vehicles on standby.”
Passengers on board the flight said they noticed the plane started to slow down shortly after taking off. The Captain decided to turn around when the plane reached an elevation of 12,000 feet.
“The plane slowed down a bit, then they made an announcement that there was a crack in the windscreen and they had to return to Newquay,” Ellis told the publication. “No fuss was made, no drama, all very professional,” Ray Ellis, a passenger on the plane, told Newsweek.
Ground transportation was provided for the passengers to complete their trip to London Gatwick. A different Flybe plane will replace the Embraer 195 while it’s windshield is repaired, sources say.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees