This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Flybe plane departing from Newquay Airport in Cornwall, England made an emergency landing Tuesday morning after the plane’s windshield cracked shortly after taking off. The Embraer 195 was headed for Gatwick Airport (LGW) in London with 92 passengers on board before it turned around and safely landed back at Newquay Airport (NQY).
A spokesperson from the airline confirmed to Newsweek that the pilot and crew took all the necessary action and that the crack on the windshield was on the outer layer of the plane.
2018-04-24: FlyBe Embraer E_195 (G-FBEL) experienced a cracked layer of the windshield whilst climbing out of Newquay, UK on flight #BE801 to Gatwick. The aircraft safely returned to land. https://t.co/O4buQ6xa0H | https://t.co/FXuLmQj8sC pic.twitter.com/SR9uoycxye
— JACDEC (@JacdecNew) April 26, 2018
“Flybe can confirm that the aircraft operating the above flight landed safely at Newquay without incident having returned from airborne following a crack appearing in the outer layer of its windscreen,” a statement from Flybe said. “The captain took the necessary action and, as a usual precautionary measure, the airport put its emergency vehicles on standby.”
Passengers on board the flight said they noticed the plane started to slow down shortly after taking off. The Captain decided to turn around when the plane reached an elevation of 12,000 feet.
“The plane slowed down a bit, then they made an announcement that there was a crack in the windscreen and they had to return to Newquay,” Ellis told the publication. “No fuss was made, no drama, all very professional,” Ray Ellis, a passenger on the plane, told Newsweek.
Ground transportation was provided for the passengers to complete their trip to London Gatwick. A different Flybe plane will replace the Embraer 195 while it’s windshield is repaired, sources say.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that