Airlines Throw Shade (And Discounts!) After Shocking Germany World Cup Loss
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Germany officially ended its short-lived run at the FIFA World Cup on Wednesday after losing its game against South Korea, 0-2. The defending World Cup champions will not be progressing past the first round of the tournament for the first time since 1938. Along with millions of grieving fans, airlines are reacting to the stunning loss on social media — and you might even be able to get a flight deal out of it!
Ryanair offered up some cheap flights for fans leaving the World Cup unexpectedly early. (The catch is, though, that Ryanair doesn’t fly out of Russia where the games are being held).
When South Korea beat Germany, it brought Mexico forward in the rankings, so Aeroméxico showed some love to South Korea by offering 20% off flights from Mexico to Korea. Translated, the tweet reads: “We love you, Korea! Our flights from Mexico to Korea have a 20% discount.”
Even easyJet took a punch at Germany when it scheduled this ad to run, pushing cheap flights to Berlin because it’s “the only way to still see Germany this Summer.”
Another Twitter user even joined in, listing the players carrying other teams at the World Cup – and noting Germany’s only carrier now is Lufthansa. They’re not wrong, either. The German players flew in on Lufthansa, so we’ll probably catch Lufthansa carrying the team out (sooner than expected).
Featured image by SAEED KHAN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees