Airlines Throw Shade (And Discounts!) After Shocking Germany World Cup Loss
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Germany officially ended its short-lived run at the FIFA World Cup on Wednesday after losing its game against South Korea, 0-2. The defending World Cup champions will not be progressing past the first round of the tournament for the first time since 1938. Along with millions of grieving fans, airlines are reacting to the stunning loss on social media — and you might even be able to get a flight deal out of it!
Ryanair offered up some cheap flights for fans leaving the World Cup unexpectedly early. (The catch is, though, that Ryanair doesn’t fly out of Russia where the games are being held).
When South Korea beat Germany, it brought Mexico forward in the rankings, so Aeroméxico showed some love to South Korea by offering 20% off flights from Mexico to Korea. Translated, the tweet reads: “We love you, Korea! Our flights from Mexico to Korea have a 20% discount.”
Even easyJet took a punch at Germany when it scheduled this ad to run, pushing cheap flights to Berlin because it’s “the only way to still see Germany this Summer.”
Another Twitter user even joined in, listing the players carrying other teams at the World Cup – and noting Germany’s only carrier now is Lufthansa. They’re not wrong, either. The German players flew in on Lufthansa, so we’ll probably catch Lufthansa carrying the team out (sooner than expected).
Featured image by SAEED KHAN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.