Airlines Issue Travel Waivers After Fatal Earthquake in Japan
A powerful Earthquake struck Osaka, Japan, Monday morning, killing three people and injuring more than 300. The 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck at 7:58am local time. It was strong enough to be felt by anyone in the affected area. Heavy fallen objects were the cause of death for two of the three individuals, one of which was a 9-year-old girl and the other was an elderly man.
Kansai International Airport (KIX) and Kobe Airport (UKB) closed shortly, but both have since reopened. Power has also been restored to the area after a few hours of outages. However, the danger in Japan continues beyond the initial tremors. Landslides and rain continue to threaten the region.
So far, three airlines have released flight waivers in response to the earthquake.
- Travel dates: June 18 – June 19
- Airports covered: Osaka, JP (KIX)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before June 24, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
- Travel dates: June 18 – 19
- Airports covered: Osaka, Japan (KIX)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: June 24
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: June 24
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond June 24, 2018, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
- Travel dates: June 18 – 30
- Airports covered: Osaka, Japan (KIX)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: June 18
- Such requests are made on/before 30 June 2018 and before departure, for travel with Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon confirmed booking arriving to and departing from Osaka (Kansai) between 18 June 2018 and 30 June 2018. No-show passengers are not eligible for the waiver.
- Revised (NEW) travel date must be on/before 14 July 2018 and subject to flight availability.
In which case, the ticket expiry date will be adjusted accordingly.
- The newly rebooked sector must observe and conform to the conditions of the respective fare rule, e.g. blackout dates, flight application, weekend/weekday travel, stopover charges and applicable seasonality by collecting additional/refunding difference (if any) as appropriate.
- Reissuance charges will only be waived due to the expiry of the original ticket
- Rerouting to/from/via Cathay Pacific/ Cathay Dragon online cities
And subject to flight availability and fare/tax difference.
- Waive on cancellation and refund charges
- No show passenger is not eligible for the waiver
- For all tickets include non- refundable tickets
Featured image by STR/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.