Airlines Offering Free Flight Changes as Alberto Churns Toward Memorial Day Landfall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2018 is expected to be a busy hurricane season, and it kicked off early with Subtropical Storm Alberto forming days before the season’s June 1 official start date. Now, the storm is churning toward a Memorial Day landfall near Panama City, Florida.
As of the 11am advisory, Subtropical Storm Alberto has strengthened to 50-mph top sustained winds. While that’s not strong when it comes to top winds, the wind field is impressive with gusts of at least 39 mph reaching 125 miles east of the center of circulation.
The outer reaches of these tropical storm winds are just starting to brush St. Petersburg, Florida. Tropical Storm Warnings — indicating tropical storm conditions expected within 36 hours — stretch from Fort Myers, Florida to the Alabama-Mississippi border.
But, the winds aren’t going to be the worst part of this storm; rain and flooding are the biggest threats. According to the National Hurricane Center, the “Florida panhandle into eastern Alabama and western Georgia” are the areas expected to see the most rain, with isolated sections getting up to 12 inches.
The circulation — combined with the shape of the Gulf Coast — is funneling water into low-lying areas. Sunday morning, Tampa residents received their first emergency broadcast since Hurricane Irma in September 2017, alerting residents where to find sandbags.
Airlines have been slow to issue waivers for this storm. As of Saturday night, only Southwest had offered up free flight changes. But, Sunday morning, more airlines opened up options. As of 12:07pm, the following airlines have issued travel waivers for the storm:
- Travel dates: May 27-29
- Airports covered: Destin / Fort Walton Beach, Florida (VPS); Gulfport / Biloxi, Mississippi (GPT); Mobile, Alabama (MOB); Pensacola, Florida (PNS); Tallahassee, Florida (TLH); Tampa, Florida (TPA)
- Must have purchased your ticket by May 27
- Rebook travel anytime between May 27-June 1
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Avoid the phone queue. Changes available on both AA’s website and in the AA app.
- Travel dates: May 27-28
- Airports covered: Destin FT Walton Beach, Florida (VPS); Key West, Florida (EYW); Mobile, Alabama (MOB); Panama City, Florida (ECP); Pensacola, Florida (PNS); Tallahassee, Florida (TLH)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: June 1
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: June 1
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond June 1, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates.
- Travel date: May 27-28
- Airports covered: Fort Lauderdale (FLL); Fort Myers (RSW); Orlando (MCO); Tampa (TPA); West Palm Beach (PBI); Jacksonville (JAX); New Orleans (MSY); Panama City (ECP); Pensacola (PNS)
- Customers who are holding reservations to/from/through these cities on the corresponding dates may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with [Southwest’s] accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.
- Travel dates: May 27-29
- Airports covered: Ft. Walton Beach, FL (VPS); Gulfport, MS (GPT); Mobile, AL (MOB); Panama City, FL (ECP); Pensacola, FL (PNS)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before June 3, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
No waivers (yet) from: Alaska, Frontier, JetBlue or Spirit.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees