‘Clemson Express?’ Airlines add New Orleans football flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The nation’s three biggest airlines are all adding extra flights to New Orleans from South Carolina’s Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport (GSP) later this month.
The flights are to help accommodate demand from college football fans flying to the college football championship game in New Orleans on Jan. 13. The match-up pits No. 1 Louisiana State University (LSU) against third-ranked Clemson University, which is about a 50-mile drive from GSP.
American and United are each adding three extra flights between New Orleans (MSY) and GSP while Delta is adding two, according to a statement from the airport.
American is adding one MSY-bound flight on Jan. 11 and two returns to GSP on Jan. 14.
United is doing the opposite, adding two MSY-bound flights on Jan. 11 and one return on Jan. 14.
Delta is offering one nonstop to MSY on Jan. 11 and one return to GSP on Jan. 14.
None of the airlines normally offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Greenville/Spartanburg.
The championship of the College Football Playoff kicks off at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, Jan. 13.
LSU advanced to the title game with a 63-28 rout of No. 4 Oklahoma. LSU’s campus in Baton Rouge is only about 80 miles from the Superdome – the championship venue – so extra flights are unnecessary for that fan base.
Clemson earned its spot in the championship by winning a 29-23 thriller against No. 2 Ohio State.
Seats on the nonstop GSP-MSY flights remained available on all three airlines late Thursday afternoon, but they aren’t cheap. Round-trip fares ranged from $1,231 on Delta to $1,531 on American.
Featured photo by Douglas Stringer/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.