‘Clemson Express?’ Airlines add New Orleans football flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The nation’s three biggest airlines are all adding extra flights to New Orleans from South Carolina’s Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport (GSP) later this month.
The flights are to help accommodate demand from college football fans flying to the college football championship game in New Orleans on Jan. 13. The match-up pits No. 1 Louisiana State University (LSU) against third-ranked Clemson University, which is about a 50-mile drive from GSP.
American and United are each adding three extra flights between New Orleans (MSY) and GSP while Delta is adding two, according to a statement from the airport.
American is adding one MSY-bound flight on Jan. 11 and two returns to GSP on Jan. 14.
United is doing the opposite, adding two MSY-bound flights on Jan. 11 and one return on Jan. 14.
Delta is offering one nonstop to MSY on Jan. 11 and one return to GSP on Jan. 14.
None of the airlines normally offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Greenville/Spartanburg.
The championship of the College Football Playoff kicks off at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, Jan. 13.
LSU advanced to the title game with a 63-28 rout of No. 4 Oklahoma. LSU’s campus in Baton Rouge is only about 80 miles from the Superdome – the championship venue – so extra flights are unnecessary for that fan base.
Clemson earned its spot in the championship by winning a 29-23 thriller against No. 2 Ohio State.
Seats on the nonstop GSP-MSY flights remained available on all three airlines late Thursday afternoon, but they aren’t cheap. Round-trip fares ranged from $1,231 on Delta to $1,531 on American.
Featured photo by Douglas Stringer/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees