Airlines Ramp up Flights for College Football Championship
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
College football fans looking to experience the action in person will be pleased to hear that Delta, United and American Airlines have added additional flights to the Bay Area to make it easier to get to this year’s championship game.
The College Football Playoff Championship is January 7th, when Clemson will take on Alabama. While both team’s home stadiums are just a quick four-hour drive apart, the championship game won’t be played in either college town. This year’s championship game will be played at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California, near San Jose.
Neither airport serving the two major college towns, Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BHM) and Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), currently have direct flights to the San Francisco-Bay Area. Fans and students looking to attend the championship game would typically be required to connect through either Atlanta, GA (ATL), Charlotte, NC (CLT), or Dallas (DFW). However, on January 5th and 8th, there will be a number of nonstop flights from both Birmingham, AL, and Greenville-Spartanburg, SC, to San Jose, CA (SJC), on American Airlines. On January 4th and 8th, Delta will also operate flights from both Birmingham and Greenville-Spartanburg to San Jose.
The following flights will be added to American’s schedule to accommodate the increase in passengers for the College Football Playoff Championship:
- Jan. 5th: Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 12:15pm, Arr: 2:58pm, Airbus A321
- Jan. 5th: Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BMH) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 10:10am, Arr: 1:15pm, Airbus A321
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), Dep: 10:45am, Arr: 6:33pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), Dep: 1:45pm, Arr: 9:24pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BMH), Dep: 10:00am, Arr: 4:35pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BMH), Dep: 2:15pm, Arr: 8:50pm, Boeing 737
Tickets for the flights are now on sale. Round-trip flights from Greenville-Spartanburg are currently on sale for $1,595, while flights from Birmingham are on sale for $981. While prices are steep, paid fares are the only option at the moment as award space is not yet available.
While Delta has not officially announced the additional flights, nonstop flights between Birmingham and Greenville-Spartanburg to San Jose are also now available. Delta’s nonstop flights are as follows:
- Jan. 4th: Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 4:00pm, Arr: 6:50pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 4th: Birmingham (BHM) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 4:00pm, Arr: 7:00pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), Dep: 10:00am, Arr: 5:55pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Birmingham (BHM), Dep: 10:00am, Arr: 4:15pm, Boeing 757
United is adding flights between Birmingham (BHM) and San Francisco (SFO), between Atlanta (ATL) and San Francisco (SFO), and between Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP) and San Francisco (SFO).
Featured image by Icon Sportswire/Contributor/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees