Airlines Ramp up Flights for College Football Championship
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
College football fans looking to experience the action in person will be pleased to hear that Delta, United and American Airlines have added additional flights to the Bay Area to make it easier to get to this year’s championship game.
The College Football Playoff Championship is January 7th, when Clemson will take on Alabama. While both team’s home stadiums are just a quick four-hour drive apart, the championship game won’t be played in either college town. This year’s championship game will be played at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California, near San Jose.
Neither airport serving the two major college towns, Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BHM) and Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), currently have direct flights to the San Francisco-Bay Area. Fans and students looking to attend the championship game would typically be required to connect through either Atlanta, GA (ATL), Charlotte, NC (CLT), or Dallas (DFW). However, on January 5th and 8th, there will be a number of nonstop flights from both Birmingham, AL, and Greenville-Spartanburg, SC, to San Jose, CA (SJC), on American Airlines. On January 4th and 8th, Delta will also operate flights from both Birmingham and Greenville-Spartanburg to San Jose.
The following flights will be added to American’s schedule to accommodate the increase in passengers for the College Football Playoff Championship:
- Jan. 5th: Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 12:15pm, Arr: 2:58pm, Airbus A321
- Jan. 5th: Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BMH) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 10:10am, Arr: 1:15pm, Airbus A321
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), Dep: 10:45am, Arr: 6:33pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), Dep: 1:45pm, Arr: 9:24pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BMH), Dep: 10:00am, Arr: 4:35pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BMH), Dep: 2:15pm, Arr: 8:50pm, Boeing 737
Tickets for the flights are now on sale. Round-trip flights from Greenville-Spartanburg are currently on sale for $1,595, while flights from Birmingham are on sale for $981. While prices are steep, paid fares are the only option at the moment as award space is not yet available.
While Delta has not officially announced the additional flights, nonstop flights between Birmingham and Greenville-Spartanburg to San Jose are also now available. Delta’s nonstop flights are as follows:
- Jan. 4th: Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 4:00pm, Arr: 6:50pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 4th: Birmingham (BHM) to San Jose (SJC), Dep: 4:00pm, Arr: 7:00pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), Dep: 10:00am, Arr: 5:55pm, Boeing 737
- Jan. 8th: San Jose (SJC) to Birmingham (BHM), Dep: 10:00am, Arr: 4:15pm, Boeing 757
United is adding flights between Birmingham (BHM) and San Francisco (SFO), between Atlanta (ATL) and San Francisco (SFO), and between Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP) and San Francisco (SFO).
Featured image by Icon Sportswire/Contributor/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.