Earn more miles with shopping portal bonuses from 5 different airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is TPG’s permanent page with all currently available airline shopping portal promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates.
Four airlines are offering shopping portal bonuses right now, giving you a chance to earn bonus miles on back-to-school purchases.
You’ll need to make a few extra clicks before making your purchase to earn these bonus miles. So, here are the details on the airline shopping portal bonuses currently available.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Shopping
- Earn 300 bonus miles when you spend $150.
- Earn 600 bonus miles when you spend $300.
- Earn 1,200 bonus miles when you spend $600 or more.
TPG values Alaska miles at 1.8 cents each, so this bonus is worth up to $21.60. These miles are on top of the miles you’d typically earn through your shopping.
American AAdvantage eShopping
American Airlines is offering a bonus as well. Members who shop through the AAdvantage eShopping portal can earn up to 2,000 bonus miles by making qualifying purchases by Aug. 14. The bonus is structured as follows:
- Earn 500 bonus miles when you spend $150.
- Earn 1,000 bonus miles when you spend $300.
- Earn 2,000 bonus miles when you spend $600.
TPG values American Airlines miles at 1.77 cents each, so this bonus is worth up to $35.40. These miles are on top of the miles you’d typically earn through your shopping. Also, remember that you can earn Loyalty Points on these purchases. However, the bonus does not count toward Loyalty Points.
Delta SkyMiles Shopping
Delta SkyMiles Shopping is offering up to 1,000 bonus SkyMiles when you make qualifying purchases by Aug. 11. It’s structured as follows:
- Earn 500 bonus SkyMiles when you spend $200.
- Earn 1,000 bonus SkyMiles when you spend $400.
TPG values SkyMiles at 1.41 cents apiece, so the bonus is worth up to $14.10.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping
Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping is offering a similar bonus, with the opportunity to earn up to 2,000 bonus points through Aug. 15. Here’s how it’s structured:
- Earn 250 bonus miles when you spend $125.
- Earn 900 bonus miles when you spend $300.
- Earn 2,000 bonus miles when you spend $550.
Based on TPG’s Rapid Rewards valuation of 1.5 cents per point, you can get up to $30 in value from this shopping portal promo. Points earned from the shopping portal do count toward the Southwest Companion Pass.
United MileagePlus Shopping
United Airlines loyalists can earn up to 2,500 bonus miles by making qualifying purchases through the United MileagePlus Shopping portal by Aug. 15. Like the other promos, this promotion offers a different number of points depending on how much you spend. Here’s a look:
- Earn 500 bonus miles when you spend $100.
- Earn 1,500 bonus miles when you spend $350.
- Earn 2,500 bonus miles when you spend $600.
TPG values United miles at 1.21 cents apiece, so the promotion is worth up to $30.25.
Use the right credit card
It’s critical to use the right credit card when making online purchases, so pay close attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, make sure you use a credit card that earns more than 1 point per dollar spent on all purchases. Great options include:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: Earn 5% cash back on travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% on drugstore purchases and dining, and 1.5% on all other purchases. You can also earn an additional 1.5% cash back on all categories (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year). You can convert this cash to Chase Ultimate Rewards points if you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve or Ink Business Preferred Credit Card.
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: Earn 2 Capital One miles per dollar spent on everyday purchases.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Earn 2 Capital One miles per dollar spent on everyday purchases.
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express: Earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on up to $50,000 per calendar year (then 1 point per dollar).
Be sure to read our guide to the best credit cards for everyday spending to see which cards will maximize your returns on online purchases.
Additional reporting by Benji Stawski, Sean Cudahy and Ryan Smith.
Featured photo by AaronP/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees