Airline Launches Live Concerts on Flights to Attract Millennials
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
File this one under “worst nightmare.”
Garuda, Indonesia’s national airline, is now offering “live acoustic performances” on select domestic flights in an effort to woo millennials, according to Newsweek.
The program launched on Wednesday on a flight from Jakarta to Bali and hopes to promote “new, local talent” in addition to merely entertaining passengers. Performances will run anywhere from 10-15 mins, and will only be available on select flights.
The purpose of the marketing scheme is to attract those who “want a different flight experience,” according M. Ikhsan Rosan, spokesman for the airline.
According to Newsweek, Garuda is not the first airline to try a stunt like this. Southwest allegedly attempted something similar with live performances of its own back in 2017 to “mixed results.” No surprise there. A live concert in a confined space is a tough sell for passengers hoping to get work done or sleep during a flight.
It should also be noted that in response to heightened safety concerns after the crash of fellow Indonesian airline LionAir, “Safety was one of the key issues taken into consideration by Garuda with the new live performances initiative,” Newsweek reports. The airline is said to have “held a lengthy consultation to ensure the concerts would not compromise safety or security.”
No word on whether passengers are offered earplugs during flight along with their blankets and pillows.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees