This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
File this one under “worst nightmare.”
Garuda, Indonesia’s national airline, is now offering “live acoustic performances” on select domestic flights in an effort to woo millennials, according to Newsweek.
The program launched on Wednesday on a flight from Jakarta to Bali and hopes to promote “new, local talent” in addition to merely entertaining passengers. Performances will run anywhere from 10-15 mins, and will only be available on select flights.
The purpose of the marketing scheme is to attract those who “want a different flight experience,” according M. Ikhsan Rosan, spokesman for the airline.
According to Newsweek, Garuda is not the first airline to try a stunt like this. Southwest allegedly attempted something similar with live performances of its own back in 2017 to “mixed results.” No surprise there. A live concert in a confined space is a tough sell for passengers hoping to get work done or sleep during a flight.
It should also be noted that in response to heightened safety concerns after the crash of fellow Indonesian airline LionAir, “Safety was one of the key issues taken into consideration by Garuda with the new live performances initiative,” Newsweek reports. The airline is said to have “held a lengthy consultation to ensure the concerts would not compromise safety or security.”
No word on whether passengers are offered earplugs during flight along with their blankets and pillows.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards