Airline Launches Live Concerts on Flights to Attract Millennials
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
File this one under “worst nightmare.”
Garuda, Indonesia’s national airline, is now offering “live acoustic performances” on select domestic flights in an effort to woo millennials, according to Newsweek.
The program launched on Wednesday on a flight from Jakarta to Bali and hopes to promote “new, local talent” in addition to merely entertaining passengers. Performances will run anywhere from 10-15 mins, and will only be available on select flights.
The purpose of the marketing scheme is to attract those who “want a different flight experience,” according M. Ikhsan Rosan, spokesman for the airline.
According to Newsweek, Garuda is not the first airline to try a stunt like this. Southwest allegedly attempted something similar with live performances of its own back in 2017 to “mixed results.” No surprise there. A live concert in a confined space is a tough sell for passengers hoping to get work done or sleep during a flight.
It should also be noted that in response to heightened safety concerns after the crash of fellow Indonesian airline LionAir, “Safety was one of the key issues taken into consideration by Garuda with the new live performances initiative,” Newsweek reports. The airline is said to have “held a lengthy consultation to ensure the concerts would not compromise safety or security.”
No word on whether passengers are offered earplugs during flight along with their blankets and pillows.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.