This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
File this one under “worst nightmare.”
Garuda, Indonesia’s national airline, is now offering “live acoustic performances” on select domestic flights in an effort to woo millennials, according to Newsweek.
The program launched on Wednesday on a flight from Jakarta to Bali and hopes to promote “new, local talent” in addition to merely entertaining passengers. Performances will run anywhere from 10-15 mins, and will only be available on select flights.
The purpose of the marketing scheme is to attract those who “want a different flight experience,” according M. Ikhsan Rosan, spokesman for the airline.
According to Newsweek, Garuda is not the first airline to try a stunt like this. Southwest allegedly attempted something similar with live performances of its own back in 2017 to “mixed results.” No surprise there. A live concert in a confined space is a tough sell for passengers hoping to get work done or sleep during a flight.
It should also be noted that in response to heightened safety concerns after the crash of fellow Indonesian airline LionAir, “Safety was one of the key issues taken into consideration by Garuda with the new live performances initiative,” Newsweek reports. The airline is said to have “held a lengthy consultation to ensure the concerts would not compromise safety or security.”
No word on whether passengers are offered earplugs during flight along with their blankets and pillows.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees