Spreading good cheer: TPG reader uses her airline fee credits to play in-flight Secret Santa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Raise your hand if it’s the end of the year and you’re scrabbling to use one of your travel credits. From the Chase Sapphire Reserve® to the The Platinum Card® from American Express, a number of different credit cards offer reimbursement for costs associated with travel.
Unfortunately for American Express customers, however, that credit can be quite restrictive. While Chase has a broad definition for what qualifies as “travel” expenses, American Express will only reimburse qualified airline fees for things such as baggage fees and seat selection.
Enter TPG reader Mary C., who recently wrote in about her experience taking advantage of Amex’s airline fee credit after the TPG post “How to make sure you’ve used your Amex airline-fee credit before the year ends.” With no further plans for flights and the ability to purchase gift cards gone, Mary, who was flying home to Houston from San Francisco on Dec. 28 after a visit with her daughter, found herself with some spare cash at the end of the year. Enrollment required for select benefits.
So, she decided to play Secret Santa to an entire United 737-900’s worth of passengers. She had two full up to $200 annual airline fee credits to use thanks to The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. (Enrollment required).“I usually pay for that junk with my United Explorer Card,” Mary told TPG in a phone interview. “I thought to myself, ‘What can I do with this?’”
(Photo by BraunS/Getty Images)According to Mary, she called over a flight attendant and said, “I got all this money I need to spend today and I’m looking for help doing it.” The flight attendant was definitely, ahem, on board. “They were super excited about it,” said Mary. The caveat was that the bill had to remain under $388 because she had just purchased internet for the flight. Mary also wanted to remain anonymous — only her seatmate knew what was up.
“I heard the flight attendant come over the loud speaker and say, ‘We have a Secret Santa on board who wants to take care of snacks and drinks for you guys,” says Mary.
The final bill came in at $198 on her personal Amex and $115 (+$12 for internet) on her business card. The kicker? In addition to the crew gifting her a few free stroopwafels and bags of snack mix, the flight also confirmed Mary’s United Premier Gold status for next year.
Logistically, Mary said it was an easy feat to pull off but that if TPG wouldn’t have put the story out, “it never would have happened.”
An awesome way to spread the holiday cheer, Mary. Great job!
Additional reporting by Jane Frye.
Feature photo courtesy of Vector illustration.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees