Airbus lands one of its largest orders ever from IndiGo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Indian low-cost carrier IndiGo has placed one of Airbus’ largest orders ever, for 300 A320neo jets.
The firm order includes A320neo, A321neo and A321XLR — the longest-range variant of the family that was launched at the Paris air show in June — models, said Airbus on Tuesday. The airframer did not provide a breakdown of the order.
“This order is an important milestone, as it reiterates our mission of strengthening air connectivity in India,” said Ronojoy Dutta, CEO of IndiGo, in a statement. “India is expected to continue with its strong aviation growth and we are well on our way to build the world’s best air transportation system.”
IndiGo was among one of the first operators of the A320neo when it debuted the aircraft in early 2016. However, the introduction of the re-engined jet faced hiccups related to the reliability of the Pratt & Whitney PW1100G engines. The airline was still making modifications to the engines to rectify the issues as recently as June.
IndiGo chief financial officer Riyaz Peermohamed said in the statement that engine selection for the new 300 aircraft order will be made at a later date. The airline recently pivoted to engines manufactured by CFM International from ones by Pratt for 280 of its A320neo deliveries beginning in 2020.
Despite these engine issues, IndiGo has proven keen for more aircraft. The latest 300 aircraft order complements 335 A320neo and A321neo aircraft the airline already has on order, Airbus’ orders and deliveries data for September shows.
The Indian market continues to grow and evolve rapidly. Earlier this year Jet Airways shut down, and state-owned Air India continues to face financial challenges amid a slow-moving privatization initiative.
Passenger traffic in India grew an impressive 19% year-over-year in 2018, according to data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA). Domestic traffic grew 17.5% year-over-year in 2017.
IndiGo is India’s largest domestic carrier flying nearly 42% of capacity in 2018, according to Diio by Cirium schedule data. The airline is scheduled to fly 46% of domestic capacity this year.
Mega aircraft deals are increasingly common. British Airways parent International Airlines Group (IAG) committed to 200 Boeing 737 MAX jets at the Paris air show in June, and Frontier Airlines and Volaris parent Indigo Partners firmed an order for 430 A320neo aircraft last December.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees