This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We got our first peek at Japan Airlines’ first Airbus A350-900 when it rolled out of a hangar in Toulouse, France on Tuesday.
This is Japan Airlines’ first-ever Airbus aircraft. The airline’s fleet is currently composed of 167 Boeing aircraft and has only ever operated Boeing or McDonnell Douglas aircraft (which was absorbed by Boeing in 1997).
Decked out in standard JAL livery, a large “Airbus A350” is also emblazoned on the A350’s fuselage to celebrate the aircraft manufacturer’s relationship with JAL.
JAL has ordered 31 A350s, including 18 A350-900s and 13 of the larger A350-1000s.
An Airbus release says the aircraft will first operate on major domestic routes and will feature a three-class configuration that seats 369 passengers. Its inaugural route will be from Tokyo Haneda (HND) to Fukuoka (FUK).
Airways Magazine speculates that the aircraft will feature 12 first class seats, 94 business class seats and 263 economy seats. However it’s possible JAL installs a premium economy cabin instead of first class seats.
JAL’s A350s will round out its fleet of 25 Boeing 787-8s and 11 Boeing 787-9s, both of which are known as fuel efficient long-haul aircraft.
Featured image courtesy of F. Lancelot / Master Films / Airbus.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees