Airbus Debuts Japan Airlines’ First A350
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We got our first peek at Japan Airlines’ first Airbus A350-900 when it rolled out of a hangar in Toulouse, France on Tuesday.
This is Japan Airlines’ first-ever Airbus aircraft. The airline’s fleet is currently composed of 167 Boeing aircraft and has only ever operated Boeing or McDonnell Douglas aircraft (which was absorbed by Boeing in 1997).
Decked out in standard JAL livery, a large “Airbus A350” is also emblazoned on the A350’s fuselage to celebrate the aircraft manufacturer’s relationship with JAL.
JAL has ordered 31 A350s, including 18 A350-900s and 13 of the larger A350-1000s.
An Airbus release says the aircraft will first operate on major domestic routes and will feature a three-class configuration that seats 369 passengers. Its inaugural route will be from Tokyo Haneda (HND) to Fukuoka (FUK).
Airways Magazine speculates that the aircraft will feature 12 first class seats, 94 business class seats and 263 economy seats. However it’s possible JAL installs a premium economy cabin instead of first class seats.
JAL’s A350s will round out its fleet of 25 Boeing 787-8s and 11 Boeing 787-9s, both of which are known as fuel efficient long-haul aircraft.
Featured image courtesy of F. Lancelot / Master Films / Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees