This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It took off from Blagnac airport in Toulouse, France, at 10:37am local time. The widebody aircraft is registered as MSN1888 but does not appear to be registered with Flight Aware yet, so its flight path was not available.
The first flight puts it one step closer to receiving its airworthiness certification, which it expects to receive in 2019 and after another 300 flight hours.
The A330-800 is part of the A330neo family but took years for it to attract any customers. Last month, Kuwait Airways signed an agreement to purchase eight of the aircraft.
The -800 is a “neo” aircraft, or new engine option — meaning it has better fuel efficiency than its predecessors. It has a range of 8,150 nautical miles and can seat 257 passengers.
Powered by new Rolls-Royce Trent 7000 engines and equipped with an Airspace cabin that features mood lighting and more overhead bin space, the A330neo program is Airbus’ lower cost answer to the Boeing 787 program and an alternative to its premium A350 long-haul jet.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards