Airbus A319neo Completes First Test Flight with GTF Engines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus has announced that the first test flight of an A319neo outfitted with Pratt and Whitney Geared Turbo Fan (GTF) power plants has been completed in Toulouse. The flight, which took place on Thursday, lasted just under three hours. The aircraft, MSN 6464, is the same plane that Airbus used for the certification of the CFM LEAP-1A engines, which received their final certifications from the FAA and EASA back in December of 2018.
Unlike a traditional turbo jet engine, which has a single shaft requiring all parts of the engine to turn at the same speed, the GTF allows for each set of blades and compressors to turn at their most fuel efficient speeds. This could mean huge fuel savings for airlines flying hardware equipped with the GTF power plants, as well as putting an airline in a better position if/when fuel prices rise.
The NEO, which simply means New Engine Option, is the latest revision to Airbus’ best selling family of aircraft. Pratt and Whitney has previously seen serious technical issues with the groundbreaking GTF engines sold on A320neos, from cooling issues to reported unknown engine vibrations. Recently, it seems like the company has been turning things around, working out issues both on the technical and production sides of the equation.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Airbus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.