Airbus’ 12,000th Aircraft? It’s An A220 Bound for Delta Air Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It feels like just yesterday that TPG and I traveled to Airbus HQ in Toulouse, France (TLS) to join a celebration for the company’s 10,000th aircraft delivery — a Singapore Airlines A350-900. Monday, Airbus delivered its 12,000th plane in Mirabel, Canada — an A220-100 bound for Delta Air Lines.
The first Airbus delivery, a wide-body A300, took place back in 1974, and the 6,000th aircraft — an Emirates A380 — began flying in 2010. The European manufacturer has clearly made great strides since its early years, though there’s no question that the recent Bombardier acquisition has helped Airbus boost performance even further.
While these figures are impressive, Airbus still has a long way to go to catch up with Boeing, which got its start decades before, back in 1916. The Seattle-based aircraft maker has rolled out more than 10,000 737s alone, though recent issues with the 737 MAX could curb growth.
As for Airbus, this latest milestone just so happens to coincide with a big event I’m attending this week in Toulouse, where executives plan to discuss some of the company’s recent innovations. Time will tell what the future will bring — Airbus Urban Mobility and other projects could make 12,000 aircraft deliveries seem like chump change as we enter a new age of aviation.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees