Airbus’ 12,000th Aircraft? It’s An A220 Bound for Delta Air Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It feels like just yesterday that TPG and I traveled to Airbus HQ in Toulouse, France (TLS) to join a celebration for the company’s 10,000th aircraft delivery — a Singapore Airlines A350-900. Monday, Airbus delivered its 12,000th plane in Mirabel, Canada — an A220-100 bound for Delta Air Lines.
The first Airbus delivery, a wide-body A300, took place back in 1974, and the 6,000th aircraft — an Emirates A380 — began flying in 2010. The European manufacturer has clearly made great strides since its early years, though there’s no question that the recent Bombardier acquisition has helped Airbus boost performance even further.
While these figures are impressive, Airbus still has a long way to go to catch up with Boeing, which got its start decades before, back in 1916. The Seattle-based aircraft maker has rolled out more than 10,000 737s alone, though recent issues with the 737 MAX could curb growth.
As for Airbus, this latest milestone just so happens to coincide with a big event I’m attending this week in Toulouse, where executives plan to discuss some of the company’s recent innovations. Time will tell what the future will bring — Airbus Urban Mobility and other projects could make 12,000 aircraft deliveries seem like chump change as we enter a new age of aviation.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.