This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It feels like just yesterday that TPG and I traveled to Airbus HQ in Toulouse, France (TLS) to join a celebration for the company’s 10,000th aircraft delivery — a Singapore Airlines A350-900. Monday, Airbus delivered its 12,000th plane in Mirabel, Canada — an A220-100 bound for Delta Air Lines.
The first Airbus delivery, a wide-body A300, took place back in 1974, and the 6,000th aircraft — an Emirates A380 — began flying in 2010. The European manufacturer has clearly made great strides since its early years, though there’s no question that the recent Bombardier acquisition has helped Airbus boost performance even further.
While these figures are impressive, Airbus still has a long way to go to catch up with Boeing, which got its start decades before, back in 1916. The Seattle-based aircraft maker has rolled out more than 10,000 737s alone, though recent issues with the 737 MAX could curb growth.
As for Airbus, this latest milestone just so happens to coincide with a big event I’m attending this week in Toulouse, where executives plan to discuss some of the company’s recent innovations. Time will tell what the future will bring — Airbus Urban Mobility and other projects could make 12,000 aircraft deliveries seem like chump change as we enter a new age of aviation.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards