This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From tropical storm to devastating Category 4, Hurricane Michael has been causing destruction since its landfall in the Florida Panhandle. With the number of relief workers and people left displaced due to the severe conditions, Airbnb has reinstated its Open Homes program to those in need of shelter.
The program allows hosts to list properties for $0 on the Airbnb website in designated locations for a temporary period. For Hurricane Michael, the dates in which the free shelter is available are from Oct. 8 to Oct. 29, 2018. So far, more than 360 hosts have volunteered to open their homes to relief worked and displaced neighbors in need.
In September, Airbnb initiated the Open Homes program to help those displaced by Hurricane Florence. The program has been around since 2012, when Hurricane Sandy left people in the surrounding metropolitan areas displaced and in need of shelter. Luckily, more than 1,000 hosts stepped up. Since then, Airbnb’s Open Homes, in collaboration with its hosts, have been housing and helping refugees all over the world.
“Often people believe it will not happen to them,” said Kellie Bentz, senior manager of disaster response & relief at Open Homes. “Thinking through personal, family and business response plans are critical to being more prepared and resilient should something happen.”
The free shelters are currently available in the Florida Panhandle/Alabama area and major cities such as Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa.
If you’re in these affected areas and looking to volunteer your home on Airbnb, all you have to do is sign up for Airbnb, list your home and sign up your property here to get the $0 listing. If you’re one of those in need of a place to stay, available homes can be found here.
Featured image by Sean Rayford via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards