This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Surfs up! Summer is coming, and Airbnb is partnering with the World Surf League (WSL) to add more surf-based activities and tours to its Experiences platform.
Airbnb first teamed up with WSL in 2016 to offer curated home options to travelers in top surf destinations. Now, the two companies are joining forces again to bring surf experiences led by local businesses to travelers in top surf destination around the world. Travelers can book one of 75+ experiences hosted by surf pros, certified coaches and influencers including an exclusive, one-time surf lesson and experience led by Aussie ex-pro Luke Stedman at The WSL Surf Ranch in California. The experience also includes a meet and greet with actor and surfer Scott Eastwood.
Surf-based experiences are among the most popular experiences on the platform and has steadily been on the rise. In 2017, there were more than 170,000 guest booked homes in select surfing communities. Among the top three destinations were Pupukea, Hawaii; Mundaka, Spain and Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa.
“Surfing is one of the top things people want to do when they travel, but many are scared to try at first,” Airbnb Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky said. “No matter your experience level, these Experiences provide a more intimate, personal and welcoming experience than you’d get otherwise, and a chance for local surf communities to earn extra income doing what they love.”
With the launch of the new WSL experiences, Airbnb will be donating its fees from trip bookings to to PURE: Ocean Health, a non-profit dedicated to working with and supporting ocean advocacy organizations.
Other Airbnb surfing Experiences now available include:
- Edouard & Antoine Delpero Surf School (Biarritz, France). Learn to surf or fine-tune your technique with the Delpero brothers at the major surfing destination in the heart of Basque country.
- Girls on Board Surf School (Phillip Island, Australia). Led by Jess Laing, Girls on Board will take you surfing at stunning Phillip Island.
- Surf Coaching with Leo Neves (Saquarema, Brazil). WSL veteran Leo Neves will take your surfing to the next level. Hone your skills with pro tips and video analysis.
- Learn to Shape with Carl Schaper (Haleiwa, HI). Cut the foam and learn to shape a surfboard with Carl Schaper of Carl Schaper Surfboards on the iconic North Shore of Oahu.
Featured image by John Seaton Callahan//Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards