This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Surfs up! Summer is coming, and Airbnb is partnering with the World Surf League (WSL) to add more surf-based activities and tours to its Experiences platform.
Airbnb first teamed up with WSL in 2016 to offer curated home options to travelers in top surf destinations. Now, the two companies are joining forces again to bring surf experiences led by local businesses to travelers in top surf destination around the world. Travelers can book one of 75+ experiences hosted by surf pros, certified coaches and influencers including an exclusive, one-time surf lesson and experience led by Aussie ex-pro Luke Stedman at The WSL Surf Ranch in California. The experience also includes a meet and greet with actor and surfer Scott Eastwood.
Surf-based experiences are among the most popular experiences on the platform and has steadily been on the rise. In 2017, there were more than 170,000 guest booked homes in select surfing communities. Among the top three destinations were Pupukea, Hawaii; Mundaka, Spain and Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa.
“Surfing is one of the top things people want to do when they travel, but many are scared to try at first,” Airbnb Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky said. “No matter your experience level, these Experiences provide a more intimate, personal and welcoming experience than you’d get otherwise, and a chance for local surf communities to earn extra income doing what they love.”
With the launch of the new WSL experiences, Airbnb will be donating its fees from trip bookings to to PURE: Ocean Health, a non-profit dedicated to working with and supporting ocean advocacy organizations.
Other Airbnb surfing Experiences now available include:
- Edouard & Antoine Delpero Surf School (Biarritz, France). Learn to surf or fine-tune your technique with the Delpero brothers at the major surfing destination in the heart of Basque country.
- Girls on Board Surf School (Phillip Island, Australia). Led by Jess Laing, Girls on Board will take you surfing at stunning Phillip Island.
- Surf Coaching with Leo Neves (Saquarema, Brazil). WSL veteran Leo Neves will take your surfing to the next level. Hone your skills with pro tips and video analysis.
- Learn to Shape with Carl Schaper (Haleiwa, HI). Cut the foam and learn to shape a surfboard with Carl Schaper of Carl Schaper Surfboards on the iconic North Shore of Oahu.
Featured image by John Seaton Callahan//Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees