This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Surfs up! Summer is coming, and Airbnb is partnering with the World Surf League (WSL) to add more surf-based activities and tours to its Experiences platform.
Airbnb first teamed up with WSL in 2016 to offer curated home options to travelers in top surf destinations. Now, the two companies are joining forces again to bring surf experiences led by local businesses to travelers in top surf destination around the world. Travelers can book one of 75+ experiences hosted by surf pros, certified coaches and influencers including an exclusive, one-time surf lesson and experience led by Aussie ex-pro Luke Stedman at The WSL Surf Ranch in California. The experience also includes a meet and greet with actor and surfer Scott Eastwood.
Surf-based experiences are among the most popular experiences on the platform and has steadily been on the rise. In 2017, there were more than 170,000 guest booked homes in select surfing communities. Among the top three destinations were Pupukea, Hawaii; Mundaka, Spain and Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa.
“Surfing is one of the top things people want to do when they travel, but many are scared to try at first,” Airbnb Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky said. “No matter your experience level, these Experiences provide a more intimate, personal and welcoming experience than you’d get otherwise, and a chance for local surf communities to earn extra income doing what they love.”
With the launch of the new WSL experiences, Airbnb will be donating its fees from trip bookings to to PURE: Ocean Health, a non-profit dedicated to working with and supporting ocean advocacy organizations.
Other Airbnb surfing Experiences now available include:
- Edouard & Antoine Delpero Surf School (Biarritz, France). Learn to surf or fine-tune your technique with the Delpero brothers at the major surfing destination in the heart of Basque country.
- Girls on Board Surf School (Phillip Island, Australia). Led by Jess Laing, Girls on Board will take you surfing at stunning Phillip Island.
- Surf Coaching with Leo Neves (Saquarema, Brazil). WSL veteran Leo Neves will take your surfing to the next level. Hone your skills with pro tips and video analysis.
- Learn to Shape with Carl Schaper (Haleiwa, HI). Cut the foam and learn to shape a surfboard with Carl Schaper of Carl Schaper Surfboards on the iconic North Shore of Oahu.
Featured image by John Seaton Callahan//Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees