Air New Zealand Refunds Passengers After 20% Throw Up on Bumpy Flight
Anyone who flies is used to things getting a bit bumpy sometimes. For passengers on Air New Zealand flight NZ5715 things got a bit extreme. The flight was being operated by an ATR 72-600, a twin turbo prop flying from Christchurch (CHC) to Invercargill Airport (IVC) when it ran into some unusually choppy air. In the end most passengers were describing it as the worst flight of their lives.
During the flight the pilot reported to passengers the plane was experiencing crosswinds in excess of 110mph. The rough ride lead to around 20% of passengers to be vomiting by the time the plane safely reached the ground at IVC, according to passenger Owen Scott. Scott said the pilots were in control of the aircraft for the entire flight, but the turbulence was almost constant. For any passenger who was already worried about flying or turbulence, this flight was surely a nightmare.
The airline was quick to acknowledge the less than pleasant experience on board. Passengers on Air New Zealand’s vomit comet have been issued full refunds for their flight. According to an email sent to passengers from the airline, “In recognition of your experience, a full refund of this flight will be processed.” Emergency medical personnel were waiting for the aircraft to assist passengers who needed medical attention.
Featured Photo by NanoStockk/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees