This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Anyone who flies is used to things getting a bit bumpy sometimes. For passengers on Air New Zealand flight NZ5715 things got a bit extreme. The flight was being operated by an ATR 72-600, a twin turbo prop flying from Christchurch (CHC) to Invercargill Airport (IVC) when it ran into some unusually choppy air. In the end most passengers were describing it as the worst flight of their lives.
During the flight the pilot reported to passengers the plane was experiencing crosswinds in excess of 110mph. The rough ride lead to around 20% of passengers to be vomiting by the time the plane safely reached the ground at IVC, according to passenger Owen Scott. Scott said the pilots were in control of the aircraft for the entire flight, but the turbulence was almost constant. For any passenger who was already worried about flying or turbulence, this flight was surely a nightmare.
The airline was quick to acknowledge the less than pleasant experience on board. Passengers on Air New Zealand’s vomit comet have been issued full refunds for their flight. According to an email sent to passengers from the airline, “In recognition of your experience, a full refund of this flight will be processed.” Emergency medical personnel were waiting for the aircraft to assist passengers who needed medical attention.
Featured Photo by NanoStockk/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees