Air New Zealand Refunds Passengers After 20% Throw Up on Bumpy Flight
Anyone who flies is used to things getting a bit bumpy sometimes. For passengers on Air New Zealand flight NZ5715 things got a bit extreme. The flight was being operated by an ATR 72-600, a twin turbo prop flying from Christchurch (CHC) to Invercargill Airport (IVC) when it ran into some unusually choppy air. In the end most passengers were describing it as the worst flight of their lives.
During the flight the pilot reported to passengers the plane was experiencing crosswinds in excess of 110mph. The rough ride lead to around 20% of passengers to be vomiting by the time the plane safely reached the ground at IVC, according to passenger Owen Scott. Scott said the pilots were in control of the aircraft for the entire flight, but the turbulence was almost constant. For any passenger who was already worried about flying or turbulence, this flight was surely a nightmare.
The airline was quick to acknowledge the less than pleasant experience on board. Passengers on Air New Zealand’s vomit comet have been issued full refunds for their flight. According to an email sent to passengers from the airline, “In recognition of your experience, a full refund of this flight will be processed.” Emergency medical personnel were waiting for the aircraft to assist passengers who needed medical attention.
Featured Photo by NanoStockk/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.