This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand’s new holiday commercial is a surprising ode to those who didn’t quite make the nice list this year. On top of that, the airline drops a “Make Christmas Great Again” reference.
In the video, Santa accidentally sends out his naughty list to one of the children on it, Elvis Anderson, instead of to the elves. When the boy receives the email notification while in detention, he calls for desperate measures: “The Very First Summit of All the Naughty Kids.”
The boy reaches out to Air New Zealand to bring naughty children from around the world to New Zealand, where the kids hold the summit. The savages deplane in New Zealand high-fiving the airline crew. Quickly, they get down to business to discuss how each country will commit to doing good deeds to get themselves onto the nice list this year.
Argentina agrees to “reduce personal gaseous emissions” by 27%. Great Britain promises to eat more vegetables, while Japan will be sure to cut down on hair pulling. The naughty and nice scale begins to turn in the children’s favor. The progress is stalled, though, with America. A little boy in a recognizable red hat reading “Make Christmas Great Again” denies his naughtiness. The rest of the children respond with roaring laughter.
To pull through, New Zealand is the last to make amends with the man in the North Pole. After consultation with his fellow New Zealand representatives, the team comes to an agreement. “New Zealand promises to do all our chores, spend less time on our phones,” Elvis Anderson announces, and — crossing his fingers behind his back — “be nicer to Australia.”
Regardless, the scale is ultimately pulled toward nice. Confetti drops! The children celebrate! And it’s all thanks to Air New Zealand for bringing them together.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees