Air New Zealand Axes ‘Unbearable’ Hip Hop Flight Safety Video
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In today’s over-the-top airline safety video culture (and yes– there is a culture), it’s pretty much commonplace to find yourself cringing through safety instructions before takeoff. However, it’s rare that a video is so bad that it gets pulled from planes.
Enter Air New Zealand’s “It’s Kiwi Saftey” safety video: a 5-minute rap set to the beat of Run DMC’s “It’s Tricky” that was so “unbearable” that the airline axed it from flights altogether.
Starring local New Zealand musicians Kings, Randa and Theia as they cheerfully rap about plane safety, the video serves up cringe-worthy lines like “sit upright, hands on thighs, feet on floor — it’s just like twerking” about sitting properly in case of an inflight emergency (or “pickle,” as they phrased it), numerous dance numbers, technicolored costumes and, of course, somebody flossing. Needless to say, it didn’t take long after its debut on the tarmac for people to start criticizing it on social media.
Not even Regional Economic Development Minister Shane Jones liked the video. “I don’t want to be too petty,” he told the NZ Herald. “But the reality is the (video) trivializes safety; I think it’s a juvenile mishmash and it’s toneless.” Celebrities like Anderson .Paak and Donald Glover were also subjected to the infamous video before its removal.
So, after a barrage of criticism (although Air New Zealand is saying that its decision is based on “a new campaign to stimulate domestic travel and promote tourism to Northland”), “It’s Kiwi” will be no more. In its place, passengers can now expect to see a safety clip called “Summer of Safety” from 2016 — one that Jones actually likes. “I liked the one about up North, the one with Rachel Hunter, her hanging out with the Maoris,” he said.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees