This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Six months ago, I was hardly familiar with Allbirds, maker of the unbeatably travel-friendly slip-on shoe. Today, I’m a true believer — I simply can’t live without my shoes. And I’m clearly in good company — Air New Zealand‘s also on board, with plans to give flyers the ‘bird, too.
Made from New Zealand merino wool, the new “Bird Mask” is an ANZ exclusive, available in business class on select long-haul flights.
“The Bird Mask will be available exclusively in Air New Zealand’s Business Premier cabin on selected North American routes throughout October, including the airline’s daily NZ1/NZ2 service between Los Angeles and London.”
Likely routes include Air New Zealand’s nonstops between Auckland (AKL) and Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Vancouver (YVR), in addition to the airline’s fifth-freedom route between LAX and London Heathrow (LHR), which I flew earlier this year. As of now, the masks will only be available in October, which means Chicago (ORD) flyers are out of luck.
As for the shoes, you’ll still need to buy those on your own. I highly recommend owning a pair, though. While they aren’t quite as durable as a non-wool alternative, you can’t beat them for comfort. In a pinch, you can even use them in the gym, as I tend to do whenever I choose to travel with just a backpack, leaving my rolling carry-on bag at home.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees