Air Italy Increases Surcharges for Avios Awards on US-Outbound Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Italy, the new airline refurbished from former carrier Meridiana, allows travelers to book award flights using Avios through its partner British Airways at a very reasonable rate. Flights can be booked directly via ba.com at the following redemption rates:
|Flight Distance // Zone||Economy Class||Business Class|
|Zone 1: 1-650 miles||4,500||9,000|
|Zone 2: 651-1150 miles||7,500||15,000|
|Zone 3: 1151-2000 miles||10,000||20,000|
|Zone 4: 2001-3000 miles||12,500||37,500|
|Zone 5: 3001-4000 miles||20,000||60,000|
|Zone 6: 4001-5000 miles||25,000||75,000|
In the past, Air Italy-imposed surcharges per ticket were capped at $127 each way for flights between the US and Italy, regardless of fare class. This means that a Zone 6 Milan (MXP) to New York (JFK) flight in business class could cost just 75,000 Avios — worth $1,125 in TPG’s latest valuations — plus $127 in carrier-imposed surcharges. That’s less than half the cost of the same ticket if booked in cash.
However, One Mile at a Time reports that Air Italy appears to have raised the surcharges on award tickets that originate from the US. For example, this one-way economy award ticket from New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) now costs 25,000 Avios and $205.40:
Meanwhile, surcharges have remained flat regardless of fare class on award flights originating from non-US cities, although it’s no longer the $127 flat rate of days gone by. This one-way economy ticket from Milan to JFK still only costs 25,000 Avios, with $214.31 in surcharges:
In conclusion, Air Italy award tickets booked with British Airways Avios can still be an easy way to get back from Europe for cheap. However, this US-targeted increased surcharge significantly drops the outbound value of these award tickets.
Featured photo by Brendan Dorsey / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees