Air Italy Increases Surcharges for Avios Awards on US-Outbound Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Italy, the new airline refurbished from former carrier Meridiana, allows travelers to book award flights using Avios through its partner British Airways at a very reasonable rate. Flights can be booked directly via ba.com at the following redemption rates:
|Flight Distance // Zone||Economy Class||Business Class|
|Zone 1: 1-650 miles||4,500||9,000|
|Zone 2: 651-1150 miles||7,500||15,000|
|Zone 3: 1151-2000 miles||10,000||20,000|
|Zone 4: 2001-3000 miles||12,500||37,500|
|Zone 5: 3001-4000 miles||20,000||60,000|
|Zone 6: 4001-5000 miles||25,000||75,000|
In the past, Air Italy-imposed surcharges per ticket were capped at $127 each way for flights between the US and Italy, regardless of fare class. This means that a Zone 6 Milan (MXP) to New York (JFK) flight in business class could cost just 75,000 Avios — worth $1,125 in TPG’s latest valuations — plus $127 in carrier-imposed surcharges. That’s less than half the cost of the same ticket if booked in cash.
However, One Mile at a Time reports that Air Italy appears to have raised the surcharges on award tickets that originate from the US. For example, this one-way economy award ticket from New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) now costs 25,000 Avios and $205.40:
Meanwhile, surcharges have remained flat regardless of fare class on award flights originating from non-US cities, although it’s no longer the $127 flat rate of days gone by. This one-way economy ticket from Milan to JFK still only costs 25,000 Avios, with $214.31 in surcharges:
In conclusion, Air Italy award tickets booked with British Airways Avios can still be an easy way to get back from Europe for cheap. However, this US-targeted increased surcharge significantly drops the outbound value of these award tickets.
Featured photo by Brendan Dorsey / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.