This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board an Air India flight from Amritsar (ATQ) to Delhi (DEL) had a terrifying experience when severe turbulence caused one window pane on the aircraft to pop out of place.
Reports say the incident occurred about 24 hours after one passenger died on Southwest Flight 1380 after shrapnel from an engine explosion broke a window and nearly sucked a passenger out of the plane.
However, the Air India incident involved only the inside panel of the window; the outside panel is the one that really matters, as it’s designed to withstand the pressure differential between the cabin and the outside air. Airplanes can fly just fine with only the outer panel.
The 30-minute flight had just taken off and was climbing at about 15,000 feet when it hit bad weather, causing turbulence, which popped an entire inner window panel out of place and injured three passengers on board. Fortunately, the injuries were minor. After the window broke, a flight attendant attempted to put it back in place. The severe turbulence shook the plane for roughly 10-12 minutes. According to the site Flight Radar 24, the flight was operated by a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.
A cell phone video taken from inside the aircraft shows flight attendants trying to comfort some of the flight’s 240 passengers who were upset and crying after the window broke. India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation and Aircraft Accident Investigation Board are reportedly both investigating the incident.
This story was amended to clarify that only the inner window panel popped out of place during the incident.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that