This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board an Air India flight from Amritsar (ATQ) to Delhi (DEL) had a terrifying experience when severe turbulence caused one window pane on the aircraft to pop out of place.
Reports say the incident occurred about 24 hours after one passenger died on Southwest Flight 1380 after shrapnel from an engine explosion broke a window and nearly sucked a passenger out of the plane.
However, the Air India incident involved only the inside panel of the window; the outside panel is the one that really matters, as it’s designed to withstand the pressure differential between the cabin and the outside air. Airplanes can fly just fine with only the outer panel.
The 30-minute flight had just taken off and was climbing at about 15,000 feet when it hit bad weather, causing turbulence, which popped an entire inner window panel out of place and injured three passengers on board. Fortunately, the injuries were minor. After the window broke, a flight attendant attempted to put it back in place. The severe turbulence shook the plane for roughly 10-12 minutes. According to the site Flight Radar 24, the flight was operated by a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.
A cell phone video taken from inside the aircraft shows flight attendants trying to comfort some of the flight’s 240 passengers who were upset and crying after the window broke. India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation and Aircraft Accident Investigation Board are reportedly both investigating the incident.
This story was amended to clarify that only the inner window panel popped out of place during the incident.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that