3 Injured After Severe Turbulence Causes Window Panel to Fall off Air India Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board an Air India flight from Amritsar (ATQ) to Delhi (DEL) had a terrifying experience when severe turbulence caused one window pane on the aircraft to pop out of place.
Reports say the incident occurred about 24 hours after one passenger died on Southwest Flight 1380 after shrapnel from an engine explosion broke a window and nearly sucked a passenger out of the plane.
However, the Air India incident involved only the inside panel of the window; the outside panel is the one that really matters, as it’s designed to withstand the pressure differential between the cabin and the outside air. Airplanes can fly just fine with only the outer panel.
The 30-minute flight had just taken off and was climbing at about 15,000 feet when it hit bad weather, causing turbulence, which popped an entire inner window panel out of place and injured three passengers on board. Fortunately, the injuries were minor. After the window broke, a flight attendant attempted to put it back in place. The severe turbulence shook the plane for roughly 10-12 minutes. According to the site Flight Radar 24, the flight was operated by a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.
A cell phone video taken from inside the aircraft shows flight attendants trying to comfort some of the flight’s 240 passengers who were upset and crying after the window broke. India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation and Aircraft Accident Investigation Board are reportedly both investigating the incident.
This story was amended to clarify that only the inner window panel popped out of place during the incident.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees