This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board an Air India flight from Amritsar (ATQ) to Delhi (DEL) had a terrifying experience when severe turbulence caused one window pane on the aircraft to pop out of place.
Reports say the incident occurred about 24 hours after one passenger died on Southwest Flight 1380 after shrapnel from an engine explosion broke a window and nearly sucked a passenger out of the plane.
However, the Air India incident involved only the inside panel of the window; the outside panel is the one that really matters, as it’s designed to withstand the pressure differential between the cabin and the outside air. Airplanes can fly just fine with only the outer panel.
The 30-minute flight had just taken off and was climbing at about 15,000 feet when it hit bad weather, causing turbulence, which popped an entire inner window panel out of place and injured three passengers on board. Fortunately, the injuries were minor. After the window broke, a flight attendant attempted to put it back in place. The severe turbulence shook the plane for roughly 10-12 minutes. According to the site Flight Radar 24, the flight was operated by a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.
A cell phone video taken from inside the aircraft shows flight attendants trying to comfort some of the flight’s 240 passengers who were upset and crying after the window broke. India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation and Aircraft Accident Investigation Board are reportedly both investigating the incident.
This story was amended to clarify that only the inner window panel popped out of place during the incident.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees